Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replaced IAC - Now high Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Replaced IAC - Now high Idle

I threw a code for a bad idle air control system so I put a new valve in and now I get a super high idle, from 1500 to 2800 if i tap the gas. I'm throwing a code for bad battery temp sensor (charging system bypasses anyways) and tranny range sensor. Not sure what could be causing such a strange idle.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee

check vacuum lines
Old 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually go back to what I last touched, if it was recent, when something goes wrong.

Three things come to mind:

1) Did you adjust the IAC correctly? When I replaced the one in my 02 TJ, I had a hell of a time with high idle for a bit, until I realized I adjusted it wrong and had to re-do it.

2) Are you sure you have the O-ring seal on the IAC correctly. It could have gotten pinched or torn, which will cause a leak below the throttle plate, resulting in high idle..

3) Did you remove the throttle body to change out the IAC? If so, are you sure there was no damage to the throttle body gasket, and that you got it back on square and flush with the bolts properly tightened? Any of this could also cause a below throttle plate leak resulting in high idle.

All of these things can happen easily, and are also easily missed during reassembly.

Take some WD-40 and spray around the base of the throttle body and the area where the IAC mounts and see if you get a momentary change in idle speed. This will be a sign of one of the conditions I mentioned above.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 PM

Year: 1999

i ran the engine with the air intake hose off and air was rushing into the idle bypass and when i put my finger over it to cover the hole it dropped in idle, could be bad valve? how do you adjust the valve?
Old 05-18-2013, 12:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

You cant adjust the IAC on an xj.

It is likely that your old iac was bad and the computer was compensating for it. Now you have a new one on, did you reset the computer?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OleBlue

It is likely that your old iac was bad and the computer was compensating for it. Now you have a new one on, did you reset the computer?
Not necessarily true. It depends on the brand of IAC you get. I believe the one I bought was a NAPA brand, and the instructions that came with it indicated 2 or 3 initial adjustments that had to be made to the "needle" depending on your vehicle. You rotated the needle to get it to an initial projection distance. It was threaded. Once you had it measured as projecting the right distance you locked it in, then you installed it. I missed that during the initial installation, and had crazy high idle at first. Went back and followed the instructions and the idle settled out the second time correctly within about 5 seconds.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by ibmike150
I threw a code for a bad idle air control system so I put a new valve in and now I get a super high idle, from 1500 to 2800 if i tap the gas. I'm throwing a code for bad battery temp sensor (charging system bypasses anyways) and tranny range sensor. Not sure what could be causing such a strange idle.
Poor ground. Just an FYI, a code indicates a problem with a circuit, not necessarily a component. First step, disconnent the battery & clean all the grounds. Then hook the battery back up & see what you get.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:48 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default How do I reset the computer?

Originally Posted by OleBlue

How do I reset the computer? I'm having the same high idle issue after replacing my iac
Old 10-19-2019, 09:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

You might have bumped an old brittle vac line during the process and cracked it. Easy to do. High idle is common complaint on theses and most guys seem to find a bad vacuum somewhere. This is a situation where it would be very helpful to throw a cheap vacuum gauge on the engine and measure it. Mine measures like 15-ish at base idle but goes up to like 18 off-idle. I think the gauge I bought was $5 at a swap meet. Ensure the nuts on the front/rear of the intake are tight (they get loose). Your air temp gauge in the intake ...it's probably really carboned up too unless you've cleaned it lately.

Check the EGR valve and carbon deposits below it ...that can cause high idle too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-2-Utili...I/112570901168

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-V...t/351371010806

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 10-19-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepwalker
You might have bumped an old brittle vac line during the process and cracked it. Easy to do. High idle is common complaint on theses and most guys seem to find a bad vacuum somewhere. This is a situation where it would be very helpful to throw a cheap vacuum gauge on the engine and measure it. Mine measures like 15-ish at base idle but goes up to like 18 off-idle. I think the gauge I bought was $5 at a swap meet. Ensure the nuts on the front/rear of the intake are tight (they get loose). Your air temp gauge in the intake ...it's probably really carboned up too unless you've cleaned it lately.

Check the EGR valve and carbon deposits below it ...that can cause high idle too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-2-Utili...I/112570901168

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-V...t/351371010806
I cleaned the intake and the port where the IAC valve goes before I installed the new one. Did everything that I read and saw online and watched the videos on how do get it to reset, but nothing changed it still idles at 1800-2000 and even with my for off the accelerator the hell will speed up. I don't know if I did something wrong or if I was supposed to set the IAC valve pindle a certain way before installing. Going to take it out again today and start the whole process over again and see if I can get it to work right. Really wish I had someone around to help me lol
Old 10-20-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

What I and others are saying is the IAC is only 'one' component that *can* cause high idle. Low vacuum is another very common source of high idle. Especially the old hoses from and around the valve cover or another vacuum leak (as outlined above). Consider putting a vac gauge on it to measure ..then you'll know for sure. EGR is another. So, while it's good to do what you've done, you also need to check off the other elements which can cause a high idle.

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 10-20-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine was a combo platter where the IAC and the O2 sensor were both failing. Truck idled poorly. I changed the IAC and got a big idle. Changed the O2 sensor and got the idle back. My replacement IAC was not adjustable.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

It is entirely possible you bought a bad one. Double check your o-ring is in good shape on the iac, source of vacuum leak maybe. I am assuming you changed only the iac and problem started. Or the problem was a high idle before putting new iac on.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 302 Likes on 251 Posts
Year: 1996

To reset computer: Disconnect battery for 20 minutes and reconnect, idle for 2 minutes in park with AC off, 2 minutes in park with AC on, 2 minutes in gear with AC on, 2 minutes in gear with AC off.