Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replace or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Replace or rebuild?

So my Engine had a blown head gasket, fixed that, but it has A TON of blow by, leaks oil, and has lower than it should compression (a couple of PSI is all)

The transmission leaks, and shifts hard, despite having new fluid in it, so it needs some attention

The PO ran the transfer case dry, and the shop told me that it will need to be rebuilt at some point...

Question is, would it be better to just replace with some rebuilt ones, or take it to a shop and get them rebuilt? I don't have the skills/tools to do the rebuilding myself, but I could replace myself.

Thoughts?
Old 06-12-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
So my Engine had a blown head gasket, fixed that, but it has A TON of blow by, leaks oil, and has lower than it should compression (a couple of PSI is all)

The transmission leaks, and shifts hard, despite having new fluid in it, so it needs some attention

The PO ran the transfer case dry, and the shop told me that it will need to be rebuilt at some point...

Question is, would it be better to just replace with some rebuilt ones, or take it to a shop and get them rebuilt? I don't have the skills/tools to do the rebuilding myself, but I could replace myself.

Thoughts?
Wow. That's a lot of stuff to fix all at once. Junk yard swaps will save money but you never know how they were treated or if anything is wrong with them. Rebuilt is better but far more expensive and not always reliable. At least most rebuilt units have guarantees for a while.

Motor and trans around me would be about 350-400 each junk yard. I think you could probably do the transfer case, a lot simpler than a transmission.

Keep in mind if you go rebuilt, you could probably buy a running, driving Cherokee and swap your lift over for the same money.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by ArcticXJ; 06-25-2016 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Deleted