Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replace Master/Slave. Still hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Replace Master/Slave. Still hard shifting

So I searched before I posted but still could not find my answer. Last wednesday I replaced the master/slave combo on my 98 xj 4.0 ax 15 (external slave) with a sealed pre bleed one from rock auto and it was like driving a new jeep, no more grinding in reverse and the gears shifted like butter .I drove about 350 miles to see family for thanksgiving it worked great until yesterday and now it is back to hard shifting just like it was before. But every once in a while it will shift like it did right when i replaced the master/slave which makes me belive there is air in lines, because sometimes it works perfect and other times it shifts hard. Could I have gotten a bad master/slave combo from rock auto? Any tips yall could think of to make it work better. I saw this post https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/sup...g-5-spd-20714/ (scroll down to problem solved post) where opake took the slave out pumped it a few times and it seemed to fix the issue. Anyone had or heard of this where it worked great for a week and then seemed to just go back to having the same problem over night. I took a picture of the master and looks like maybe some fluid has leaked out from under the cap. No lose of fluid just looks like grease stains on the plastic, maybe Im just being paranoid and that is normal for the master my old one looked the same way.
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2011, 02:09 PM

Location: Quantico, VA and West Chester, PA soon to be Pensacola, FL
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Cyl.

Now this is just my experience but I also have a 98 xj 5spd and I initially ran into a similar problem with shifting...to the point that it didn't even want to go into 1st gear...then eventually 2nd....this was all about 3 years ago. I initially thought it was the master/slave combo but mine were all working so we replaced the clutch, fly wheel, and pressure plate...instantly worked again. Recently, as of last week, I also replaced my master and slave cylinders finally because they leaked all the fluid out of the slave cylinder and I figured might as well replace both if I am going to do it. I had to bleed mine for a few days after to keep that buttery smooth sensation I find it is a terrible bleeding system they have on our cylinder set up. But that has since fixed the same problem you describe. So my long winded answer is try bleeding it continuously over the next couple days. If that doesn't work and your cylinder checks out okay visually (no leaks) I would have to guess its further down the line in the clutch...just my thoughts.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Engine: 4.0

How does one bleed the system. The only way I saw how to do it was take the cap off the master then to unbolt the slave with the line still attached and to point the rod down and pump it about 10-15 times. Then replace any lost fluid. Is this correct?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Location: Quantico, VA and West Chester, PA soon to be Pensacola, FL
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Cyl.

What your gonna do is find that little nipple on your slave cylinder that has the hex headed bolt in it. Have a buddy Pump the clutch quickly And fully like 15-20 times and then hold it down. While they hold it down, open that hex headed screw on the slave until the brake fluid isnt launching out in a foamy spray. Tighten it back down and refill the fluid and repeat until air bubbles aren't coming out of your slave when you open then bleeder screw. Make sure the fluid in the master doesn't empty or else you will pull air back into the system.

Last edited by Tjheems; 11-28-2011 at 10:50 PM.