Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Repair Advice needed for a recent Cherokee owner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 1991 I6 4.0 HO
Default Repair Advice needed for a recent Cherokee owner.

I need to replace the rear springs on a 1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited (which is the 3 leafer)
the driver side has one of the leafs cracked and its sagging on that side. Since new ones are only sold in 4 leafs i have to get two.

SO i was thinking would it make any scene to get ones for a small lift?
Whats the smallest lift you can go?
And if i go for a small lift what do i have to do for the front, and about how much would i end up spending?

I don't want to end up changing alot of things and spend a ton
I never have driven off road but would like to start some. Most i ever gone was down dirt roads in the state parks. There are not too many places to go here in Southern NY. My friend takes me around on his family's property alot lately sine he bought a new wrangler 6 weeks ago.

I its my only car right now and i dont want to turn it into a trail vehicle as i drive the roads alot and even atleast twice a week on the highway from Orange county to westchester county.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

look into OME(old man emu) leaf springs they make them with 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5" and 3" lift set ups. They have the best ride quality that you can possibly get for your cherokee. More than capable off road with amazing on road manors. You wont regret buying OME.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
look into OME(old man emu) leaf springs they make them with 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5" and 3" lift set ups. They have the best ride quality that you can possibly get for your cherokee. More than capable off road with amazing on road manors. You wont regret buying OME.

Sounds good but you didn't say what size you think i should get, and also what would i have to do correspondingly to the front?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

if you have that many miles on your springs it would not hurt to replace the coils too.

stock component limits are 3", -control arms, steering, drive shafts and what not.

so anything from 0"-3" is up to you man. It is what you prefer.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:53 PM

Thank you. I think I'll do a small 1 to 2.5 inch lift, depending on how different the prices are.
And I might as well change out the front springs and struts.
A very good recommendation. Thank you again.

Last edited by Danny74; 06-06-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Holey crap!
I can't believe it has been 6 years alredy. Where does the time go.
Well I haven't really done anything to the Cherokee. It's been sitting in my driveway waiting for me to do a lot of work. Shortly after I last posted here, I took the Jeep to get inspected. The mechanic found lots of problems with the Jeep. More than I had realized. So, because of all the problems with the Jeep, and the many parts that I had to replace, I decided that the best idea would be to get another Jeep for parts. This way I'm not spending tons of money to fix an '88 Jeep.
And yes, I know I'm going to be replacing the broken stock spring with woren stock Springs rather than nice new ones, that haven't been used and have lift, but considering all the other parts that I have to replace in the vehicle, I decided that this was the best course of action for my wallet.
Before i even located a parts vehicle I tried to tackle the fuel leak problem, yes there's a fuel leak. Apparently it drips like once every couple of minutes while the Jeep is running and also, sometimes when you started it up, not every time, there's a drip. I see it on the driveway, but once the Jeep starts up, I really can't find it and it doesn't always occur. The hole in my driveway where I park my Jeep made me realize that it was a big problem and the mechanic who last tried to inspect the vehicle couldn't find it either and wouldn't pass it because he smelled the gas the fuel leak and couldn't find a leak anywhere but he said he smelled it in the engine compartment. He thinks the drip is over the exhaust system somwhere, or some other very hot part of the engine, because he said he herd a hiss like somthing dripping onto a hotplate, when it was up in the air after it was running, but he only heard it once and it was running a while. I couldn't find it eather and nobody else wanted to touch it, except one other guy. That mechanic spend about half hour looking for it and then said he wasn't going to charge me anything because he can't find it and doesn't believe that any more time looking would help him find it, so it's been sitting in my driveway for 5 years now, and it has been a year since I last started it.

One piece of good news is, I have recently found a 1991 Cherokee Limited for sale that has been considered totaled because of a small accident that crushed the rear driver side quarter just by the tail light and bumper and it's both Rockers are rusted out. So, it's a good running Cherokee Limited model and I believe it would have all the parts that I need. It still runs and drives he said, it's just considered totaled, and he wants $750 for it.
My problem is around here they're very strict about having Un regestered vehicles in a state of disrepair on one's property. State law allows you to have only one on your property, but that number changes to zero this coming October. Also my village goes further and doesn't allow any vehicle in a state of disrepair in the front yard (which is where my driveway is) and I can't get it in the backyard. So my problem is finding a place to put this vehicle while I take it apart.

Last edited by Danny74; 06-06-2016 at 05:33 AM.