Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Repair: 96 XJ Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 Cylinder, 4.0L
Default Repair: 96 XJ Not Starting

Hi there,

I have a 96 XJ (4.0L) I bought back in March 2017, 189K.

Over the past few months it has become increasingly more difficult to start. For some reason, my ignition will only turn over in Park when my gas tank is almost entirely full. At about 3/4 tank, it will turn over about 50% of the time in Park and always in Neutral. From 1/2 tank - Empty, I'm pretty much starting it in Neutral every time because I get no response from the ignition while it's in Park.

Yesterday, I left my windshield wipers in the "on" position overnight and I couldn't get it to start in the morning. I've charged the battery and can turn the car on, but I still get no response from the ignition in Park, and when I try to start it in Neutral, it kills the battery and the car turns off, and the car will not turn on until the battery charges back up again, about 5 minutes.

I replaced the battery already, so I'm assuming the problem is the alternator I'm planning to replace that, but I'd appreciate any and all suggestions or interpretations of what the issue could be.

This is my first Jeep, and the first car I've been able to work on myself. Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Welcome to the 1996 club.

Not sure how the fuel tank plays into your issues, but it sounds like you have a bad Neutral Safety Switch (NSS). It is a sensor attached to the shift rod of the transmission that only allows you to turn on the Jeep in Park and Neutral. The contacts inside the NSS get dirty and contact is lost so when you turn the key to start you get nothing (no clicking). But if you wiggle the shift lever, or move it from neutral to park, then the contacts make contact and it starts.

Other things to check are the grounds in the engine bay. Make sure they are connected and clean. Fellow member Jordan96XJ has a good video somewhere detailing where the grounds are. Search the threads for 1996 grounds and you will find it.

If you really think your issue is fuel related, rent a fuel pressure gauge from AZ and test your fuel PSI. It should be around 50.

But check the NSS first, by wiggling and moving the shift level from neutral to park and back, next time you can't start it.

Last edited by OldTires; 09-20-2017 at 08:47 PM.