Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

renix not reving up but idles fine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 stroker
Default renix not reving up but idles fine

replaced bottem end cause i broke the motor mount studs on the block it ran fine before so now when i start it, it will idle a little rough but when i go to accelerate it sputters and kicks back out the intake wont rev up cps is good tps is good map sensor is good timing is dead on O2 sensor is good and cat isnt clogged fuel pressure is good wires cap n rotar are fine i really need someones help i searched the forums and found people with the same problems but theres no answer how to fix it please dont reply to this post if your gonna tell me to check something i already have i listed everytrhing i have checked and all is ok im just stuck someone maybe said a timing chain issue but if that were the case it wouldnt idle just send me something to overlook it didnt have this problem when i pulled the oroginal motor monday and i used all my sensors nothing old my buddies have jeeps to so ive been swaping parts but still nothing comes up let me know if you have had the same problem and what helped you fix it
Old 07-05-2010, 09:25 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

on my 89 it did the same thing but i caught my air filter on fire from the fire ball through the intake but it was my timing chain i had jumped a tooth it would idle but when you pressed the gas you could hang it on the rack it wasnt going to do anything also you might want to clean your injectors cause that single hole in the injector gets stops up and it doesnt atomize right and you could be flooding out your cylinders when you press the gas i had to do that also
Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 AM

My 90 4.0 acted somewhat like that and I finally found a short on the center wire to the coil. It had burned in two inside the connector and would make enough contact to idle but not enough to rev up
clint