Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Removing exhaust bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Default Removing exhaust bracket

Does anyone have any information on how to remove the exhaust support bracket from the transmission mount on an 89? It's hard to see if there's anything holding it in, or if it just slips into the rubber. I dont want to damage anything on the tranny mount by trying to yank it out if it's connected by a bolt or has to come out at a specific angle.

I'm trying to replace the exhaust system, but I can't get the exhaust pipe to separate from that bracket due to a lot of rust (and I think someone might have welded it on to stop a leak at some point? it's hard to tell with all of the rust).

I've run through two power tools now trying to get the thing off, and every shop I've taken it to has quoted me a nice chunk of change for cutting it off. (I'm replacing the exhaust because the PO sold it to me without a catalytic converter, so I'm trying to put one in to get it road-ready. Unfortunately, that means no shop that I've talked to will touch it without also charging me to install the cat etc. as well)