Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Removed cross member, now exhaust and prop shafts are falling out

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Removed cross member, now exhaust and prop shafts are falling out

According to the factory service manual, in order to change coil springs I needed to remove the cross member that supports the front prop shaft. Well, when I did, everything up there started moving. the exhaust and the prop shaft were resting on the cross member...Is that normal? I wasn't expecting everything to shift then fall.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Put that all back together! No need to remove the cross member at all. Remove shocks, sway bar end links and possibly the lower arms. All depends what springs are going back in. Once everything is out, you can lower the front diff and should be able to pull the springs out no problem. You may have to unbolt the brake lines where they bolt to the body just to get some extra stretch too. Should be a simple project.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 483 Likes on 414 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Not sure where you got those directions, but the above advice is right for OEM parts
Old 03-26-2019, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I just checked 3 FSMs. No where do they recommend lowering the cross member to replace front coil springs. The 97 FSM calls for disconnecting the front drive shaft from the axle (only), but even that is probably not necessary.

For future reference, when removing the cross member, the jack must be supporting the transmission - not the cross member (as shown in your picture).

Also, the frame rails are not thick enough to withstand the jack stands where you have placed them behind the lower control arm frame brackets. That area will buckle and bend. Next time, use something like a piece of 2x6 between the stand and the frame rail to spread out the load a little.

In general, if you are going to lower something that is so heavy it requires a hydraulic jack, it is important to look first and understand the implications (taking note of what components are connected to where). If you don't, damaging the vehicle is the best case scenario, damaging yourself permanently is the worst.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:39 AM

Page 2-9

Coil spring/Jounce bumper, near the bottom right...It says mark and disconnect the front prop shaft. I didn't know how to do that, so i went to the section for that, page 3-8. Did I misunderstand?

See pic:

Last edited by double_0_7; 03-27-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:15 AM
CF Veteran

It means to remove the u-joint straps and drop the front of the front drive shaft away from the axle differential. The straps can be found holding the u-joint to the rear of the front axle differential near where item #9 is depicted in figure #14 above.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 AM

Ahhh...I see. Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I just checked 3 FSMs. No where do they recommend lowering the cross member to replace front coil springs. The 97 FSM calls for disconnecting the front drive shaft from the axle (only), but even that is probably not necessary.

For future reference, when removing the cross member, the jack must be supporting the transmission - not the cross member (as shown in your picture).

Also, the frame rails are not thick enough to withstand the jack stands where you have placed them behind the lower control arm frame brackets. That area will buckle and bend. Next time, use something like a piece of 2x6 between the stand and the frame rail to spread out the load a little.

In general, if you are going to lower something that is so heavy it requires a hydraulic jack, it is important to look first and understand the implications (taking note of what components are connected to where). If you don't, damaging the vehicle is the best case scenario, damaging yourself permanently is the worst.
I wasn't trying to lower something that required a hydraulic jack. I didn't read that cross member as load bearing. The way I read the manual, the cross member was blocking something, not supporting something. I put the jack there after the fact, when I noticed other things moving.

Protecting myself was the first priority as always, so I wasn't under the vehicle. Since I was only working in the wheel wells, I never planned on being under the vehicle.

Thanks for the tip on the frame rails. I'll fix that as soon as I get home.

So my question I guess, is this:

Forgetting for a moment that I didn't need to move the cross member, since I did...can I just bolt the cross member back in place and forget the whole thing happened, or will there be some downside to having moved it in the first place?
Old 03-27-2019, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by double_0_7

Forgetting for a moment that I didn't need to move the cross member, since I did...can I just bolt the cross member back in place and forget the whole thing happened, or will there be some downside to having moved it in the first place?
If you can get it back into position and tightened up, it should be good to go.

When it dropped, how far did it fall? Was it completely off? or just down to where the picture shows it?
Old 03-27-2019, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

If you can put a jack under the center of the crossmember (a 2 ton+ floor jack) and raise it up sufficiently to bolt it back in place, then yes. It's possible you damaged something like the transfer case linkage or wiring if it dropped far enough. Once you have it safely bolted back up, do a check on the wiring connectors on the transmission and transfer case. Also check that you didn't crack your exhaust manifold (if you did, you'll know it when you start up) and pipes.

What you may run into is alignment issues. If you do, the proper way to handle it is to put a proper jack under the transfer case (use a block of wood and make sure it's stable). I would then put a set of jack stands with a sturdy piece of wood between them under your transmission. I don't know if the pan is sturdy enough to support the weight, so somewhere under just the case is best. Then loosen the crossmember to transmission mount bolts which should give you enough play to raise the tranny/xfer case slightly above the normal location, bolt up the crossmember and then lower the tranny/xfer down and tighten the tranny mount bolts.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

And for the love of god man -- if you're ever unclear on what something means or if something doesn't seem right (like having to drop the cross-member for a coil spring removal or having a rotating shaft "resting" on something) - just check in with your fellow forum members!! That is what we're here for!
Old 03-27-2019, 11:13 AM

it dropped maybe a half inch lower than it is. I took both bolts off the driver side, and nothing seemed amiss. Then I took the bolts off the passenger side, and that's what's shown in the pic. I immediately put the jack where you see it, and started investigating, including posting here for advice.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Considering that you're lowering the vehicle - if you remove the shocks and sway bar end links, then lower the axle as far as it will go down (then raise it ever so slightly and put jack stands under it) you will be able to get the OEM springs off with a normal spring compressor tool. Just make sure you watch a few videos on using the tool and take care since compressed springs are dangerous. Installing a shorter than OEM spring should be easier than dealing with the OEM one.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

it dropped maybe a half inch lower than it is. I took both bolts off the driver side, and nothing seemed amiss. Then I took the bolts off the passenger side, and that's what's shown in the pic. I immediately put the jack where you see it, and started investigating, including posting here for advice.
You should be fine. Still double check that you didn't pull anything, of course.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

So I take it you are saying that it dropped a total of about 1/2 inch. Or are you saying 1/2 inch more than what is shown in the picture? Either way, if dropped less than 1.5 inches total, and you brought it back up a bit shortly after, I don't think you would have done major damage. It could be a lot of strain on the items PatHenry mentioned, and it really just depends on what items got the brunt of the strain. If the brunt was taken by the shafts and u-joints, probably no damage. If the brunt was taken by the transfer case shift linkage, wiring, or connectors, then possibly some damage, as those things are pretty fragile.

Quick Reply: Removed cross member, now exhaust and prop shafts are falling out