Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Remote keyless/starter lock not working correctly

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Remote keyless entry & door locks not working

So, today I did the heater core and ac evaporator and I KNOW I hooked up everything correctly while putting it back together. Ive been working on vehicles a long time, so I know to NEVER put EVERYTHING back together until youve checked it.

So, after putting the "black box" back in, I hooked up all the wires as they were and and screwed the dash itself back on. Then I hooked the battery back up and put the key in. Everything seemed OK until.....

Ive got remote keyless entry, but there is also some kind of starting security feature on it. I CAN NOT start my Jeep unless I hit the unlock button on my remote keyless entry. Also, it "clicks" constantly, even when the Jeep is off. "Click-click, click-click, click-click", then it pauses for about 30 seconds and does it again. All the time, no matter what.

So anyway, When I came around from hooking the battery back up, I KNOW the lock starting lock security feature was "clicking". I put the key in and everything still seemed fine, but then I hit the unlock so I could start it and thats when my problems started. It not only didnt unlock the doors, but the passenger side door switch made a quick "bzzz" sound. No lock or unlock from the remote keyless entry, BUT I can start her. Odd.....

So, upon further inspection here is my only real issue:

1: Remote keyless entry does not work. When either button is pushed, the passenger side door and ONLY the passenger side door switch makes a "bzzz" sound.

2: When I try to unlock the doors using the drivers side master switch, it makes the rear wiper go.

3: When I try to unlock/lock the doors with the passenger side switch, it makes a "bzzzz" noise.

Everything else is absolutely fine, which is why I dont understand whats going on. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Last edited by bigvig; 07-15-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

After working on it all morning, I went back and edited the original post. I appreciate any help anyone might have. THANKS!!!!!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996
Engine: 4.0

You might need to get it reprogramed at the dealers because it was unplugged not 100% sure though.