Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Newbie shopping for 1st Jeep-any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie shopping for 1st Jeep-any advice?

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to become a new Jeep owner soon - maybe even as quickly as this afternoon if test-drives goes well. I've never had a Jeep before so I was wondering if any seasoned owners out there could give me some guidance about known issues/common problems to look for when test-driving.

I am currently looking at a 2000 Jeep Sport (automatic) but would definitely consider other model years/trims if they're known to be more reliable.

I will be keeping the Jeep stock if that makes any difference and plan to use it for commuting only (no off-roading or hauling).

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by mirlene
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to become a new Jeep owner soon - maybe even as quickly as this afternoon if test-drives goes well. I've never had a Jeep before so I was wondering if any seasoned owners out there could give me some guidance about known issues/common problems to look for when test-driving.

I am currently looking at a 2000 Jeep Sport (automatic) but would definitely consider other model years/trims if they're known to be more reliable.

I will be keeping the Jeep stock if that makes any difference and plan to use it for commuting only (no off-roading or hauling).

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Look at number of owners, do a car fax, obviously the fewer miles the better. Check under the hood for after market mods and recent engine/cooling system work. Above all drive it for at least 15 or 20 minutes at highway speeds. Watch the oil pressure and engine coolant temps. Oil pressure should not drop below 15 psi at hot idle. Water temp should not go past 210...maybe a needles with and drop back again. HTH