Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Relatively New Wheel Bearings W/ Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Location: Orono, ME/Hudson Falls, NY/Wilton, CT. Depends when ya catch me!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Relatively New Wheel Bearings W/ Problems?

I got new wheel bearings/hub assemblies last fall and only have 9000 miles on these. While they are still very quiet, it seems like they have play in them. When I jack up the axle I can rock the wheel back and forth in all directions. The axle nut is tight, the assembly bolts are tight, and the ball joints are good... The play looks like it is coming from the center of the assembly where the fixed part meets the part that holds the lugs and spins with the wheels. Are these hubs supposed to have a slight bit of play? Could they also cause my wheels to look like they squat in towards the Jeep. Like they are caving in (slightly). They have been submerged multiple times.

Thanks guys any help is appreciated!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

they should have no play, when you installed them did you torque to spec of 175 ftlbs? this is very crucial for a unit bearing. i didnt do that for the longest time old my jeep and wondered why i replaced them every 4 months. started torqueing and problem disapeared. next question what brand wheel bearing, what size tire? the cheapos have really really cheap seals that do not do well with water.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by jebmccall
they should have no play, when you installed them did you torque to spec of 175 ftlbs? this is very crucial for a unit bearing. i didnt do that for the longest time old my jeep and wondered why i replaced them every 4 months. started torqueing and problem disapeared. next question what brand wheel bearing, what size tire? the cheapos have really really cheap seals that do not do well with water.
Does the axle nut need 175 ftlbs or the 3 bolts that hold the assembly in? If its the axle nut then it was definitely 175 ftlbs. The 3 bolts.. probably not. I believe they were drive works ( i cheaped out). And they had 31's on them. 33's as of last week.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Drive Works hubs + oversize tires = about 9 months bearing life. Get the Timken or Raybestos hubs, the bearings are better.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
Drive Works hubs + oversize tires = about 9 months bearing life. Get the Timken or Raybestos hubs, the bearings are better.
That's what I figured haha. What's a timkens lifespan with 33's?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Backspacing of the wheels is as important as tire size and width. The wheels sticking out will cause faster wear.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by may pop
Backspacing of the wheels is as important as tire size and width. The wheels sticking out will cause faster wear.
I've got 3.75 back spacing with no wheel spacers. Regardless it's wider than stock and bigger tires than stock so yeah it's gonna wear quicker.

I haven't checked since I'm on my phone but are locking hubs such as warn the same as a hub assembly. Just locking ones disengage so the front driveshaft isn't spinning in 2wd?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

dont overtorque them either, get good brand bearings. the 3 bolts torgue at 45 ftlbs.