Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Recovered stolen Jeep: Blank out passenger side keylock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Recovered stolen Jeep: Blank out passenger side keylock?

Hi Everyone!

Here's the saga of my stolen and recovered Jeep... Last year I retired my '99 after putting 350K on it and traded up to a 2000 with only 100K on it (and no rust/rot).

My 2000 was stolen from my hotel parking lot in Cleveland back at the beginning of January... Happy New Year to me! Three months later, the cops actually recovered it and I picked it up from impound in Cleveland at the end of March. I flatbedded it home to Rochester, NY, where it sat in my driveway until the last couple of weeks until my friend and I could work on it to bring it back to life.

Being a stolen car, it had all the usual damage. Driver side lock popped, steering column jacked. My theory is that the Jeep was driven straight to a shop because despite being stolen, they were clearly in no rush. The WalMart special radio was removed (very carefully), as was the exterior radio antenna. The dome light is gone (but they left the lens). They carefully cut out the catalytic converter. Also they drilled two holes in the bottom of my gas tank and also disposed of my gas cap. They also swapped my nearly-new battery for some ****ty one that was nearly dead. Really random, but I'm not a car thief so what do I know.

When I picked up the Jeep at impound, it still had charge in the battery and cranked on the first twist, but would not start. Thats when we realized there was no gas. So the first repair was to plug to plug the holes in the tank and put a couple gallons in. We found the tumbler so we used that to start up in stead of jamming the screwdriver in. Crank but no start. No codes from the computer. We ended up replacing the crankshaft sensor, and realized the upstream O2 sensor was missing. Replaced those and no start. Remembered to buy a new gas cap, replaced it, and she started after one backfire. Then we realized vacuum line was popped out, and traced that back to a bad idle control valve. Replaced that and she runs like a top. Picking up a new catalytic converter tomorrow and expect to have her back on the street soon. Will replace steering column later... My taillight got smashed in at some point, so I will have to replace a lens.

One question I have, is there some sort of commercially made blank I could install to negate the passenger side keyhole? I noticed that was where thieves made an attempt on entry on my '99 (unsuccessful, caught them in the act, that time it was New Jersey). I figure, why give them the chance, I'll just cover it over. I have keyless entry anyway, so who needs a keyhole on that side anyway? Right now my Jeep is vulnerable because anyone with a screwdriver can open the passenger side door.

Anyway, there's my tale of woe. Was going to spend a few hundred to replace the a/c compressor this summer, instead I spent it on putting the jeep back on the road. Better than not having it at all, I guess!

-otto-

Last edited by ovondrak; 05-12-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Can't you just get a "whachmacallit" from a JY and install that? Heck, take your key and see if you get lucky and find one that actually matches. If not, oh well.

For some reason nobody, ever has stolen either of my Jeeps.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just unhook the rod from the passenger's side lock cylinder so it doesn't do anything.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Radi
Just unhook the rod from the passenger's side lock cylinder so it doesn't do anything.
That's a good idea, but I want to fill the hole to eliminate temptation, keep out weather, animals, bugs, etc.

-otto-
Old 05-13-2014, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

There are no blanks for this, but you could install one and remove the rod between tumbler and latch. Then it won't do anything.

But, I will tell you...lack of key hole means nothing. I can pop the doors these with a coat hangar just as well as I can with a piece of spark plug.

Remove one method of access that is easiest, and you will be ensuring more extensive damage by a frustrated villain.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Do like DFlintstone said. pick one up at the JY since you don't care about using a key on it.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
For some reason nobody, ever has stolen either of my Jeeps.
Eh, we live in the middle of nowhere. If I left my car in a deserted parking lot with the keys inside, the only thing that would happen is someone would eventually stop by the house.. "hey I locked your car for you...here's your keys". .

I had a Ford Festiva years ago I WANTED someone to steal. Left it running outside of stores with the keys in.... only thing that happened was a State Trooper once brought me my keys. "here, I locked your car. Someone might steal......"
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by Radi

Eh, we live in the middle of nowhere. If I left my car in a deserted parking lot with the keys inside, the only thing that would happen is someone would eventually stop by the house.. "hey I locked your car for you...here's your keys". .

I had a Ford Festiva years ago I WANTED someone to steal. Left it running outside of stores with the keys in.... only thing that happened was a State Trooper once brought me my keys. "here, I locked your car. Someone might steal......"
Wow!!! You are in the middle of nowhere. Sorry about your jeep man. But hey you got her back. Most people dont, and if they do it's totaled.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Howdy Chuck. Yea...When the Jeep was younger and better looken, that dog there looked like sumthn' you'd rather not deal with. Now dog gone it, the dog is gone, but the Jeep doesn't need a sentry. I'm afraid to lock it. I might need to plunge-cut through the door with a saws-all to cut the pin because the mechanism will not let go.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Something that might fit the hole http://www.jimmijammer.com/Product,%20PunchPlug.html Other thing would be having a body shop shave the lock hole meaning fill it in and paint over it like it was never there.But if they want in it bad enough busting a window is easy.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:17 AM

Heck I would much rather have a window busted out than having to deal with fixing a door panel and replace a lock cylinder

Attention car theives, please begin knocking windows out thanks.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by Car Enthusiast
Heck I would much rather have a window busted out than having to deal with fixing a door panel and replace a lock cylinder

Attention car theives, please begin knocking windows out thanks.
^No, Attention car thieves or any kind of theif. Get a ****ing job bro.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88

Originally Posted by SHELBYGT NSM

^No, Attention car thieves or any kind of theif. Get a ****ing job bro.
You would be surpised most of them have a job, its out of boredom and the rush, you can protect your vehicle with anything, doesn't stop the fact if they want it they are going to take it.
Locks only stop honest people.

Last edited by hbracing13; 05-14-2014 at 01:32 PM.