Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Recharging R12 AC System with Freeze 12

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Recharging R12 AC System with Freeze 12

I just wanted to post a follow-up to my AC problems, thanks everyone so much for helping me out. I have an 88 XJ with an R12 system that wasn't blowing cold air. I couldn't find any clear instructions on how to recharge the system so I thought I'd write some in hopes it would help others out.

Keep in mind, to do this properly you should have gauges, vacuum out the system, and re-lube it before adding more refrigerant. This is the quick and dirty walkthrough, and it worked for me.

Step 1: I bought the Freeze 12 Kit off Amazon. I initially bought one can:

Amazon.com: Freeze-12 Refrigerant R12 AC Replacement 12oz. Cans: Automotive Amazon.com: Freeze-12 Refrigerant R12 AC Replacement 12oz. Cans: Automotive

and the quick charge adapter kit:

Amazon.com: FREEZE 12 QUICK CHARGE CONV. KIT: Automotive Amazon.com: FREEZE 12 QUICK CHARGE CONV. KIT: Automotive

The system ultimately ended up taking the better part of 3 cans, so you may be better off getting one of the package deals on amazon or ebay. There are also a few other R12 replacements out there, and I imagine these basic instructions would be fairly similar.

Step 2: Install the Freeze 12 adapter kit. These are pretty much idiot proofed, thankfully for me. The kit fits over the existing valves, so all you have to do is remove the existing caps and screw on the new brass fittings. The blue one goes on the low pressure side which is the bigger of the two tubes. On mine, this is the right-hand side, looking at the compressor. The red goes on the high pressure side. I screwed them down until tight using a crescent wrench:

https://i.imgur.com/GMvTK.jpg

Step 3: In order to attach the Freeze 12 hose to the low-pressure side for filling, I had to use a Dremel to grind off a small chunk of the high-side fitting. Even after that, I found it was easiest to unscrew the new fitting a bit, and then snug the whole assembly down again. You can see that I removed a bit of material here:

https://i.imgur.com/0hmWh.jpg

Step 4: Once you're able to get the hose attached, things are fairly straight forward, although it took me a week or so and some assistance from fellow forum members to get this part down. Hook up the can of Freeze 12 and then you will need to open the valve on the LOW PRESSURE side to allow the contents of the Freeze 12 can into the system. Remove the little metal cap (mine was just finger tight) and tighten the valve. It's a square head, so I just used a crescent wrench:

https://i.imgur.com/m0WxB.jpg

Once you've got the valve all the way open (it will stop turning), open the valve on the can of Freeze 12 and fill per instructions. You may want to wear gloves for this part as my cans iced over and I was very happy I had them on. It took about 5 minutes per can and I had to gently rev the engine a few times to get it to start taking the Freeze 12 again a few times. The Factory Service Manual says the system takes 36 oz. of Freon. The Freeze 12 can says to use 10% less than factory recommendation. My XJ took about 2 and 2/3 cans. I don't have the gauges to get it right, so I just went until the system stopped accepting the Freeze 12.

Just to be on the safe side, I closed the valve on the system when I changed cans, I don't know if you can do it without doing so, I didn't want to find out. After it was all said and done, the AC blows cold and I'm happy with the results. I hope this little write up will help someone else out.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:56 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Originally Posted by JohnWongFat
I just wanted to post a follow-up to my AC problems, thanks everyone so much for helping me out. I have an 88 XJ with an R12 system that wasn't blowing cold air. I couldn't find any clear instructions on how to recharge the system so I thought I'd write some in hopes it would help others out.

Keep in mind, to do this properly you should have gauges, vacuum out the system, and re-lube it before adding more refrigerant. This is the quick and dirty walkthrough, and it worked for me.

Step 1: I bought the Freeze 12 Kit off Amazon. I initially bought one can:

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Freeze-12-Refrigerant-Replacement-12oz-Cans/dp/B002EQKP2Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314770332&sr=8-2

and the quick charge adapter kit:

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/FREEZE-QUICK-CHARGE-CONV-KIT/dp/B001DKNEAE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314770332&sr=8-3

The system ultimately ended up taking the better part of 3 cans, so you may be better off getting one of the package deals on amazon or ebay. There are also a few other R12 replacements out there, and I imagine these basic instructions would be fairly similar.

Step 2: Install the Freeze 12 adapter kit. These are pretty much idiot proofed, thankfully for me. The kit fits over the existing valves, so all you have to do is remove the existing caps and screw on the new brass fittings. The blue one goes on the low pressure side which is the bigger of the two tubes. On mine, this is the right-hand side, looking at the compressor. The red goes on the high pressure side. I screwed them down until tight using a crescent wrench:

https://i.imgur.com/GMvTK.jpg

Step 3: In order to attach the Freeze 12 hose to the low-pressure side for filling, I had to use a Dremel to grind off a small chunk of the high-side fitting. Even after that, I found it was easiest to unscrew the new fitting a bit, and then snug the whole assembly down again. You can see that I removed a bit of material here:

https://i.imgur.com/0hmWh.jpg

Step 4: Once you're able to get the hose attached, things are fairly straight forward, although it took me a week or so and some assistance from fellow forum members to get this part down. Hook up the can of Freeze 12 and then you will need to open the valve on the LOW PRESSURE side to allow the contents of the Freeze 12 can into the system. Remove the little metal cap (mine was just finger tight) and tighten the valve. It's a square head, so I just used a crescent wrench:

https://i.imgur.com/m0WxB.jpg

Once you've got the valve all the way open (it will stop turning), open the valve on the can of Freeze 12 and fill per instructions. You may want to wear gloves for this part as my cans iced over and I was very happy I had them on. It took about 5 minutes per can and I had to gently rev the engine a few times to get it to start taking the Freeze 12 again a few times. The Factory Service Manual says the system takes 36 oz. of Freon. The Freeze 12 can says to use 10% less than factory recommendation. My XJ took about 2 and 2/3 cans. I don't have the gauges to get it right, so I just went until the system stopped accepting the Freeze 12.

Just to be on the safe side, I closed the valve on the system when I changed cans, I don't know if you can do it without doing so, I didn't want to find out. After it was all said and done, the AC blows cold and I'm happy with the results. I hope this little write up will help someone else out.
Can't wait to do it!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Good luck!