Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Recently bought car. Too short rear drive shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Recently bought car. Too short rear drive shaft?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section or something. I literally just joined to ask this question.

I just bought a 99 2.5 TD last week and it has a terrible wobble over 70 kph whenever I let go of the throttle. I've checked around the chassis and drivetrain and found that the driveshaft going from the transfer case to the rear pinion seems to be too short. The splines are just barely inside the slip yoke.

The car's been lifted 3.5" and has a driveshaft from 4xshafts.com (Tom Wood's shaft).

What I'm wondering is where I could get a longer slip yoke or whatever to eliminate this problem. I'm guessing slip yoke is the cheapest and easiest solution to this problem.

Here's a video of it:

I've also bought axle degree shims to get a better pinion angle towards the shaft.

My setup is X - XC

Old 07-21-2017, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Ya that driveshaft is way too short. I am surprised its still in the splines. You see how you have blue paint on the splines? Well you are only supposed to be able to see about an inch of blue at ride height. So ya, yours looks to be around 3" too short. I would recommend going with a new Adams driveshaft.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Well, considering it is already a Tom Woods shaft with HD splines, you could see if a local Drive Shaft shop can lengthen the tube for a reasonable price. My local shop only charged me $70 USD. They would also balance the shaft which is nice if its old

​​​​​Or make measurements and get a new shaft, that is unsafe to drive like that in my opinion. You don't want a longer flange/yoke because it will screw the angles up - only solution is a longer driveshaft

What Driveshaft is on the front?? The Tom Woods shaft might fit in the front but you won't know till you try

Last edited by investinwaffles; 07-21-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I found a truck workshop that would lengthen my driveshaft for me. Will call them and get an appointment on monday. Hopefully this will fix a lot of things.