Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rebuilt Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question Rebuilt Motor?

I have a '98 4.0 liter. She has been rattling in the back of the motor for a while now. I was looking in to ATK, and Jasper motors. I have read nightmares about both of them. This could be just the internet. There is a lot of bad info out there. I have rebuilt motors when I was younger. I don't want to rebuild mine ,or have a local shop do it. When it lets go I just want to take it next door to my mech., and let him slap a motor in it. It is my daily driver, so I want a fast turn around. Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

Your going to have good and bad rebuilds from anyone. As you have rebuilt them before you know what to look for.
Generally:
.10/.10 on the crank journals
.10 on the cyl (automatically gives new pistons)
New Camshaft and lifters
Cleaned and Magnafluxed
"spun tested" or pre-run on the dyno
At least a 3 year warranty (generally tightens the tolerances up)
Nationwide service available
Pretty good list of "MUST" replace items before starting (waterpump)

Expect to pay a few grand for this engine. Dont forget to check the dealership also, I have found them to be within a few hundred dollars of the aftermarket AND the dealer warranty is very hard to beat.

Ron

Last edited by jronald; 10-15-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Cant friggin spell!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

You can also check Marshall engines.....they have a good reputation and have a pretty darn good warranty.

just some ideas sir!

cpnwrench

Old 10-16-2011, 06:03 AM

Engine: 4.0

I might have to bite the bullet, and see if I can get a yard motor in my year, and rebuild it myself. I really don't want to do that. I did that a lot when I was younger, that was my job too. I just wanted a build I could trust. These days you get " That's good enough " frame of mind. I almost wish the Japanese built a motor for my Jeep. I know they can build good Motorcycles, when America doesn't know how to.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by metaldemon7
I might have to bite the bullet, and see if I can get a yard motor in my year, and rebuild it myself. I really don't want to do that. I did that a lot when I was younger, that was my job too. I just wanted a build I could trust. These days you get " That's good enough " frame of mind. I almost wish the Japanese built a motor for my Jeep. I know they can build good Motorcycles, when America doesn't know how to.
America definitely possesses the "know how". The problem is corporate greed at every level and lazy/browbeat employees. It's all about the bucks and screw the quality. As an American I'm proud of every product I put out because I take the time to do it right. Time is money.

This probably isn't the place for the "Made in China" tirade, American buying habits, and "paying for quality". I will say there is a major problem when the material do build a product in this country costs more buy than the same completed product at Harbor Freight, as an example. The same ratios exist in virtually every market product.

Talk to your law makers to find out why!