Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rearend help

Old 04-30-2009, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rearend help

ok, just a little while ago i started to get a hum noise from my rearend, me and a friend inspected it and we found everything to be fine. we put new gear lube in and hoped for the best and it didnt go away. i replaced it with a stock rearend from a 93 5 speed and i know there different gearing cause mine is an auto, but im not to worried about it yet. the reason i did this was to try to save my good rearend befor anything else started to go bad. so i have my other rearend out which has a locker in it and i want to get it back in as soon as possible cause with out 4x4 the jeep is almost worthless. we think it might be the pinion bearings?? but im not to sure. and while i have it out is there any way i can roatate the gear houseing around the axle houesing to get more of a tilt so i can get rid of the vibration i have? and a SYE is on the way. let me know
Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

You can get axle degree shims at your local 4x4 shop to put between your rear leaf springs and axle pads to point your axle pinion to get rid of the vibes. Be VERY VERY careful to not put your rig in 4WD with those mismatched axle gears. The result would be ugly!!! In fact, if I was you, I would remove the front driveshaft just to ensure it doesn't happen accidently. If nobody else drives your Jeep than it's just on you.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

yeah and to be honest i had to use 4x4 once or twice while out in the trails, cause i got stuck sideways in a rut about 2 feet deep and not a sinlge truck out there could move me the right way, but i lowered my front tires pretty low and used 4low and it got me out of the rut with ease. and with the shims i already have 6 drgree shims and i didnt think i could go anymore but if i can let me know. but my other jeep i just picked up has the whole gear housing rotated. i think they cut and rewelded it tho cause it has no shims and its at a massive angle. but im not to sure how they did it.. and thanks for the help