Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear wiper

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear wiper

I have a 91 sport that did not come with a rear wiper. I got a motor and switch. All the wiring is there. How do I make the rear window washer work??
Old 04-10-2011, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

jy xj donor parts
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I wish i could help you but I actually am wondering how you got the back panbel off, i have a 91 Cherokee Laredo. My rear wiper is not working and i cant get to it.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 PM

Ok guys here it is. I got the wiper project finished. This is for the 91 sport. Remove the interior panel from the tailgate. I used a screwdriver to pop the retainers loose so I didn't break them. There are also two screws at the corners by the glass. If you have a rear brake light in the back window, you have to unscrew that as well. Take the panel off and put it somewhere safe. My jeep did not come with the rear wiper from the factory so I had to remove the plug from the tailgate for the shaft of the motor to go through. There are two well nuts where the wiper motor mounts. I had to add these. Install the motor and tighten the bolts. There is a retainer nut on the outside that goes over the shaft and locks down the housing that is around the shaft. The hose that comes from the washer is right there next to the wiper motor. Connect the hose to the small tube sticking out from the inside of the housing. Same for the tube on the wiper blade on the outside. Next is the switch. It is to the right of the steering column and to the left of the cigarette lighter. The harness is already there. Just hook up the switch. You will have to make a cut out if there is not already one there. Under the hood we go. The hose for the rear washer on my jeep ran down the driver side floor rail, under the trim and behind the kick panel. The hose on mine actually was wrapped around and under the carpet on the driver seat side. It had the rubber boot for the fire wall and all. There is a plug just above the fuse box that you can pull and use for the hose. If your jeep already has dual pumps on your washer reservoir, then you are good to go. What I did was get another reservoir from the junk yard and removed one of the pumps from it. I used a 3/4" hole saw and cut a hole in the bottom of my existing tank and added the second pump. The connector for the second pump is right there with the existing one. I tested it first of course then hooked it up. I hope this may help anyone who needs it. Any questions give me a shout.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by tsahorne
Ok guys here it is. I got the wiper project finished. This is for the 91 sport. Remove the interior panel from the tailgate. I used a screwdriver to pop the retainers loose so I didn't break them. There are also two screws at the corners by the glass. If you have a rear brake light in the back window, you have to unscrew that as well. Take the panel off and put it somewhere safe. My jeep did not come with the rear wiper from the factory so I had to remove the plug from the tailgate for the shaft of the motor to go through. There are two well nuts where the wiper motor mounts. I had to add these. Install the motor and tighten the bolts. There is a retainer nut on the outside that goes over the shaft and locks down the housing that is around the shaft. The hose that comes from the washer is right there next to the wiper motor. Connect the hose to the small tube sticking out from the inside of the housing. Same for the tube on the wiper blade on the outside. Next is the switch. It is to the right of the steering column and to the left of the cigarette lighter. The harness is already there. Just hook up the switch. You will have to make a cut out if there is not already one there. Under the hood we go. The hose for the rear washer on my jeep ran down the driver side floor rail, under the trim and behind the kick panel. The hose on mine actually was wrapped around and under the carpet on the driver seat side. It had the rubber boot for the fire wall and all. There is a plug just above the fuse box that you can pull and use for the hose. If your jeep already has dual pumps on your washer reservoir, then you are good to go. What I did was get another reservoir from the junk yard and removed one of the pumps from it. I used a 3/4" hole saw and cut a hole in the bottom of my existing tank and added the second pump. The connector for the second pump is right there with the existing one. I tested it first of course then hooked it up. I hope this may help anyone who needs it. Any questions give me a shout.
nice to no all the stuff is there already ive benn looking for a donor at the local u pull to do mine
Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Awesome, thanks (and thanks for letting me piggyback on the thread). For that panel i will pop them off? i was going to do that but was worried i was breaking something.