Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear washer pump motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear washer pump motor

So I am trying to figure out why my rear washer pump motor isn't working on my 98 XJ. I pulled the cowling out from under the front driver fender and pulled the wire plug off of the top pump. I put an electrical tester on the wires and don't seem to be getting electricity to them. The wires look like they are in good condition. So, I am thinking it must be a problem at the fuse or at the switch.

Does anyone know if there is a specific fuse for the rear washer pump? If so, which one? Also, should the pump activate when the toggle switch is first engaged? Or does it require pushing extra hard on the toggle switch to activate the pump? Any ideas are appreciated!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

Originally Posted by Billywam
So I am trying to figure out why my rear washer pump motor isn't working on my 98 XJ. I pulled the cowling out from under the front driver fender and pulled the wire plug off of the top pump. I put an electrical tester on the wires and don't seem to be getting electricity to them. The wires look like they are in good condition. So, I am thinking it must be a problem at the fuse or at the switch.

Does anyone know if there is a specific fuse for the rear washer pump? If so, which one? Also, should the pump activate when the toggle switch is first engaged? Or does it require pushing extra hard on the toggle switch to activate the pump? Any ideas are appreciated!
Just did mine today, and as long as the xjs havent changed much from 89 to 98 then the fuse for the rear wiper/sprayer should be a 25 amp fuse (located in the fuse panel under the drivers side dash). And again, if the 89 and 98 are the same, then pushing the top part of the switch will turn the wiper on. Pushing the bottom of the switch should engage the rear "sprayer" as well as engage the wiper too (but just momentarily).

I figured out the fuse was bad doing a similar method. I pulled the connections off the wiper motor, turned the car on, pushed the top part of the wiper button on, and then took a reading and got nothing on the multimeter. Checked the fuse panel and realized there was nothing there. Tossed in a 25 amp fuse and viola, fixed.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 AM

Year: 1998

The rear washer switch in my 98 resembles a toggle switch. It feels like there are only two positions, up and down. It doesn't feel like it can be depressed any further to activate the pump. Can anyone with a 98 confirm if the switch is two or three position? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2010, 07:38 AM

Default These posts are still used!

I drive a 98 Cherokee with >170,000 miles & love it! Some time ago my rear wiper & washer fluid sprayer stopped working. From what I've read, it seemed like a common problem with an easy fix. I started off cheap by buying a new switch for $27 from the dealer (top=off, down=delay, pushing down=on with washer fluid). This didn't fix the problem, so I bought a new rear motor & put that in ($83, not from dealer). The new motor only worked when I would hold the old switch down... put the new switch in with the new motor & it works as good as new. ...however, the rear washer fluid sprayer doesn't work, but at least the wiper and defrost work fine - enough for now!
Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L

I just got my rear washer/wiper working after 5+ years of being broken

First i checked if the pump was working by taking the rear pump and hooking it up to the front wiring and see if it make a noise

What i did to test the switch was hook up the working pump to the wiring for the rear and held down the switch so it made a noise

But even after I hooked it up it still didn't work

So i detached both ends of the hose and stuck a nossle from an air compressor on either side

Took a while, but it started shooting out pretty good it was very clogged from old washer fluid that dries and leaves a white residue behind

and that solved the problem, hope that helps
Old 11-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L

BTW the switch is a two position

One click down is wiper, push and hold down one further to wash
Old 11-14-2010, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

So when you get it it working, leave the hose off and use it as a wepon for those who like to tailgate. Mine will shoot about 20ft
Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 280 stroker

On my 98, fully depressed in the down position and held is the washer fluid. One note of caution, i had to completely disassemble both washer motors and the reservoir because of the green rain-x washer fluid. That stuff created a film and stopped up everything. Went back to the blue stuff and have no problems.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche

did anyone ever figure this out?