Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear shackle experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rear shackle experts

Well, I got a set of 2" shackles today and I was wondering if it is possible to install them by lifting the rear and not removing the tires. I ask because I tried today but forgot to remove the shock bolts. I was able to get the top bolts off the original shackles but I could not budge the bolts on the bottom part of the shackle. but I also forgot to remove the shocks. Even though I could get the top bolts off the leaf did not drop enoug to fit the new shackles, even if I could have gotten the bottom bolts off. So if I remove the shock bolts and can jack the back up... is it possible to install the shackles without taking th tires off.

Oh yea, and I noticed that the exhaust looks like it might be in the way of the shackles. i dont really have the skills or tools to mod the pipe.

Last edited by ken72; 03-06-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:46 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

Yeah you don't have to take the tires off if you dont want to but it would make it easier.....but your gonna have the get the rear end up really high put some blocks or stands under the unibody frame rail just in front of the front leaf srping eye. Then unbolt the shocks and let the axle drop as far as you can. Keep an eye on the rear brake line cause it will max out.

Exhaust gets really close, I did not have a prob with my shackles hitting the exhaust but when I put my trailer hitch on the end of my tail pipe was squeezed between the two. I just cut it off behind the shackle.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Do you mind if I ask where you got your 2" shackles and how much they were?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

i just lifted the back end up on each side by the rear part of the unibody frame. i didn't take wheels off or anything like that. undid top bolt, undid bottom bolt, put new shackle in and tighten everything up. my exhaust does hit the shackle and is horribly annoying at idle sometimes but driving it doesn't make any noise. just going to have new exhaust run since mine is the original exhaust
Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I put my hi lift in the hitch receiver and left the tires on. If the shocks are keeping it from drooping enough then they might be too short expecially for an extra inch. I know he said 2" shackle but you only get an inch from a 2" inch longer shackle. If it's a 2" lift shackle, you will def need new shocks.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by xjmarc
I put my hi lift in the hitch receiver and left the tires on. If the shocks are keeping it from drooping enough then they might be too short expecially for an extra inch. I know he said 2" shackle but you only get an inch from a 2" inch longer shackle. If it's a 2" lift shackle, you will def need new shocks.
I dont really know that it was the shocks to be honest. I didnt take the both shackles off, I just lossened the top bolt on one and removed the other. Then I went for the bottom bolt and they were a *****, wouldnt budge... I am going to try again tomorrow with a wrench and breaker bar. I never pulled the top bolt off on the second shakle so that could be what was still holding the other shackle up (maybe that was the issue?). Think I will try raising it from the hitch reciever as well. Im hoping when I raise it from the hitch and take both shackles off they will then drop and give me the clearance I need to install the new ones.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

it was a huge pain in the *** to change the shackles. i had to put a cheater bar on the breaker bar to loosen the bolts and it took about 1/2 hour on each side.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by superj
it was a huge pain in the *** to change the shackles. i had to put a cheater bar on the breaker bar to loosen the bolts and it took about 1/2 hour on each side.
Yea the top bolts I read were the most difficult, those come off without any real issue. the bottom bolts are very tight. I am hoping the breaker bar on one side and the wrench will knock it out. Did you have to unbolt both sides for them to clear enough space for the new shackles of did the first one you unbolted clear right away?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
Do you mind if I ask where you got your 2" shackles and how much they were?
I got them at autozone. They say 2" lowering Shackles but they work just the same for lift. They look like the same ones on Ebay that go for 50 to 60 a piece. I only paid 29 for these.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Just throwing it out there but did you tighten evening up tight before you put it back on the ground or just snug then lower it the tighten all the way?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Make sure you retighten the bolts in a week or so and again in about a month cause they will work themselves loose.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 91familyxj
Just throwing it out there but did you tighten evening up tight before you put it back on the ground or just snug then lower it the tighten all the way?
I have not changed them out yet. I put everything back together with the orginanl shackles. I was not able to remove the lower bolts. I will try again tomorrow. I plan on tightening them while still lifted tomorrow though. I hope to get those lower bolts off tomorrow. I quickly learned that having the right tools is key.... so I hope I got everything I need to finish this job tomorrow.