Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear passenger small glass replacement? tintint issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rear passenger small glass replacement? tintint issues.

ok so got a quick question. I did search a little but was finding stuff for older model Xj's. heres the scoop.

I have an 01 cherokee sport 4 door with power windows.

The thing has a horrid tint job and I was going to remove the tint to be redone.

problem is I noticed the passenger rear glass is "factory tinted"(no film at all just dark) but the rest of my glass is not..its clear.

I assume is was either broke or broken into at one point and someone replaced it after the current tint was put on and just went with a smoked or factory tinted glass. both the roll up and the stationary(small piece) are this way on just that door. again all other glass is clear.

I want 5% in the back and 15% up front. Well now the tint place I go to said they "may be able to closely match it but there will be a noticeable difference) they said they would put 5% on all the rest of the back glass and then a 15% piece on those two pieces. but again..they said it wont be perfect and you would notice a difference.

So I planned on going to a pick n pull and seeing about finding one with the clear glass and just snagging it and putting it into mine so the tint will be even...

so long story short...how does one go about that on this year? never done this before...so some insight would be nice. BTW its 4 degrees outside right now or it would prolly already be done. lol

Thanks..
Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987

IIRC I brought a 1/4" drive socket set a couple pliers, standard screwdrivers and a cordless drill battery with some wire in case there's power windows. (You'll need to roll the window down). Oh, also bring some torx bits or drivers. There is at least one torx screw you'll have to deal with on the top of the door.

I was on the hunt for factory tint windows! lol.

I may have missed some steps, but here goes (from memory)

-Remove interior panels, handles, etc.
-Roll window down
-Remove top screw
-Remove M6 bolts holding the window guide inside door. (i think there's two bolts)
-Remove the glass/guide rail (they're glued together, don't try taking apart) by rotating forward and then out of the door.

You may want to unbolt the main glass from the regulator on it's way down. It may make it easier. When I got it, I was after all the glass so I removed it anyways. There are access holes in the sheetmetal for the bolts. be sure to have an extension for the sockets.

Last edited by SuperRA; 01-03-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

I keep reading about a rivet...do the 97+ models have that too? I cant find a picture of the newer Xj door. all of them are the older models. which I am not sure if it even matters.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987

Originally Posted by codykrr
I keep reading about a rivet...do the 97+ models have that too? I cant find a picture of the newer Xj door. all of them are the older models. which I am not sure if it even matters.
Nope, the 97+ models didn't have that rivet.