Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear main seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default rear main seal leak

Anybody know any dirty quick fixes for a rear main seal leak? Just something to slow the bleeding of my xj's heart? haha... at least until i get the funds for a seal replacement. I heard a guy one time used silicone, wanted to get some opinions... Thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

A Fel-Pro dual lip rear main seal and one piece gasket only runs about $60.

Your gonna have to bite the bullet and do the job.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:20 PM

i tryed it all and had to bit the bullet.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha

x2, just get it over and done with... i did it about 3 months ago, its pretty easy as soon as you get the oil pan off, but it still sucks to do without a lift!
Old 03-13-2010, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

there is no quick easy fix. gonna have drop the pan
Old 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

First make sure thats where its coming from !!

Oil leaks will always gravitate down and drip from the oilpan rear lip ! It could be an upper gasket like the valve cover leaking and soaking down !!.....

If you do the oilpan/rear seal you should be able to do it in 2 hrs or less ! I'll let ya know because I'm getting ready to do mine. I did the valve covers today 1.5hrs !! And that was with cleaning it really well and Some Goofing Off involved.....LOL
The following users liked this post:
318SixPack (03-20-2022)
Old 03-13-2010, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

replace it.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by milmat1
First make sure thats where its coming from !!

Oil leaks will always gravitate down and drip from the oilpan rear lip ! It could be an upper gasket like the valve cover leaking and soaking down !!.....

If you do the oilpan/rear seal you should be able to do it in 2 hrs or less ! I'll let ya know because I'm getting ready to do mine. I did the valve covers today 1.5hrs !! And that was with cleaning it really well and Some Goofing Off involved.....LOL

Ok. I was told you had to separate the engine from the tranny to replace the rear main seal and it pretty much requires a transmission shop? Was I told wrong? I'm pretty sure its not the valve cover gasket; haven't seen any evidence of leaks there. I lifted it and put tires on it last week, thats when i really noticed it. I'll post pics of the xj in a bit.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Here's a pic of the xj stock... This is my first time posting a pic, so may get it wrong...
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 PM

Cool, it worked!

Now a pic with the lift and tires...
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2010, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by bdub
Cool, it worked!

Now a pic with the lift and tires...
Quite an improvement! Looks good.
You should use Photobucket to store and download your photos. It's free and very easy. >-> http://photobucket.com/
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha

you don't have to separate the engine from the tranny to get it out, you just have to pull off the pan, which can be a PITA, then pull off the rear main bearing cap, there are two pieces to the seal. the bottom half on the cap you can pull out, then u can either use the bottom seal to push the top half out, or a punch to get it to where you can grab it with pliers and yank it out. Just be careful of the bearing surface..... but its not too hard, the biggest pain is getting the oil pan off.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

I heard there is a spray they sell at the autoparts store that shots out silicone. Was told to clean the area then spray the sray and leave it overnight to dry up. Never seen it but I will go look for it. Need to spray my front differential cover put the gasket but it still leaks.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by bdub
Ok. I was told you had to separate the engine from the tranny to replace the rear main seal and it pretty much requires a transmission shop? Was I told wrong? I'm pretty sure its not the valve cover gasket; haven't seen any evidence of leaks there. I lifted it and put tires on it last week, thats when i really noticed it. I'll post pics of the xj in a bit.

they told you worng i got a busted should i cant work over head or lift over 30lbs,and guess what i didnt with out droping the trany. all you do is drop the oil pan and take the rear bearing out and the bottom haft of the seal it right there the top haft, just take a small flat screw driver and tap it top haft there get something to grab that end with and pull or do like i did get it started then trun the crank over, and do the same thing puttin the new one in, and there you go. i got a 3 in lift and the front never left the ground so you know if i can do then you can do it.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

I am gonna give a suggestion on doing a rear main. To get the top seal out and back in use a wooden dowel don't use metal. The reason I say this is if you slip and you score the wrong thing you could cause more issues then it's worth. Also take a dab of rtv at the ends to help seal it. Then make sure you torque that rear bearing cap to specs. If you over tighten it you will start leaking again. Also clean the crap out of that bottom end while you are down there. Also replace your oil pump as well and at the very least clean the pickup tube screen out. Reason I suggest the oil pump is you are down there the pump is old may as well put a good one in and it will also help improve oil pressure and flow. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: rear main seal leak