Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear leaf spring bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear leaf spring bolts

OK long story short one of my rear leaf springs has cracked and the other is a bit saggy. There's a 2001 XJ in the junkyard with pretty decent looking upward curve on the rear leafs so I'm going to grab them this weekend. I've read a lot of horror stories about broken off bolts but they seem pretty thick to break. What are the odds I'll end up breaking one of them in the process? Or is that not a sure thing? Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

I dont think you will break the bolt but if you do it wont matter you can pry it out and still get the leafs,the real problem would be if the weld on the nut on the shackle box breaks loose.Too bad your not closer I got a good set of stock leafs you could have.PB blast of course.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Default Gone Titanic!

Well I got the rear leaf spring at the junkyard and was removing mine and the whole big round front end of the leaf busted off and was turing with the bolt which only came out as far as could before it ran out of room and the bolt wouldnt come out any further and we ended up stripping all the treads off the nut which is welded to the inside of the frame . Finally hack-sawed thru the bolt and pry barred the end and part of the bolt out of the bracket. The rain started so I gave up for the night and will go back tomorrow and attempt to tap and die it out and proceed with the leaf swap.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Programbo
Well I got the rear leaf spring at the junkyard and was removing mine and the whole big round front end of the leaf busted off and was turing with the bolt which only came out as far as could before it ran out of room and the bolt wouldnt come out any further and we ended up stripping all the treads off the nut which is welded to the inside of the frame . Finally hack-sawed thru the bolt and pry barred the end and part of the bolt out of the bracket. The rain started so I gave up for the night and will go back tomorrow and attempt to tap and die it out and proceed with the leaf swap.
Ouch.Sorry man,siezed up bolts and stuff suck.Any way to air chisel the nut out and weld another one in?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Skunkape
Ouch.Sorry man,siezed up bolts and stuff suck.Any way to air chisel the nut out and weld another one in?
Thanks. I think we can tap the nut out and put a new bolt in. See my related thread if you have any input