Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Hub smoking since accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear Hub smoking since accident

I had a minor accident last week (hit in the rear bumper) and today was the second time I have driven the Jeep since then. I drove it one other day to work and back, about a 15 mile round trip. It seemed slightly sluggish since the accident and seemed to be running 5 degrees or so hotter.

I drove it today again and felt the same symptoms. I took a longer route back and ended up putting about 12 miles on it on the ride home. I noticed smoke coming from the left rear after pulling into the garage and determined it was coming from the rear brake/hub assembly. The shoes are getting thin and need to be replaced soon. Everything was cool by the time I pulled the drum and I could not see anything obvious other than the shoes. This is a stock 1995 Country with ABS.

I am still waiting for a claims adjuster from the other driver's insurance agency to show up and assess the damage. I plan to mention this problem, but have no idea what I should ask to have replaced. Any suggestions on what should I be looking for that could have caused this issue?