Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear hatch won't open...

Old 08-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear hatch won't open...

Hi all... I just acquired a 98 Cherokee Sport, and am in the process of going through it to see what all it needs. The rear hatch won't open. I can hear it unlock via the key fob remote, and I can hear something pulling and moving inside like it's trying to unlatch, but it won't. Apparently there is something jammed or broke off inside the lock as the key will not go in very far. SO....I need to know what my options are. Is there any way to pop it open from the inside or do I need a locksmith? I can't see any access from the inside. Anybody have some ideas? Thanks, Sam
Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Mine sometimes acts like it won't open and I will push in with one hand while I use my other hand to pull on the handle, hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by chevagado
Hi all... I just acquired a 98 Cherokee Sport, and am in the process of going through it to see what all it needs. The rear hatch won't open. I can hear it unlock via the key fob remote, and I can hear something pulling and moving inside like it's trying to unlatch, but it won't. Apparently there is something jammed or broke off inside the lock as the key will not go in very far. SO....I need to know what my options are. Is there any way to pop it open from the inside or do I need a locksmith? I can't see any access from the inside. Anybody have some ideas? Thanks, Sam
If you do a search there's a bunch of threads with an answer for you...most of them say something along the lines of climb in the back, pull the panel loose from the top so you can get at the mechanism. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 PM

common problem,
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rea...97-01-a-31679/

just get your fingers under the panel just below the rear window and pull it out just enough to get the hatch open, then remove the panel.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!! Thanks for the info!!! I'm sure I'll have more questions later. LOL