Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear end shake while turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question rear end shake while turning

Hello!,

I am not a very technical guy, and before I take my jeep into a mechanic, I wanted to check with the guys and girls who really know what they are talking about, so I came here.

2001, Jeep XJ

My issue involes my rear end of my jeep, when turning it starts to shake and 'knock/grumble' from the rear end, almost feeling like I am going to drive right off my axle. Very freaky when u want to get out of the way of oncomming traffic! Well it gets much worse when there is weight in the back too.

Note the jeep has no lift right now.

A friend said it sounded like the limited slip differential, I did some searching online and couldn't find out how easy or how much it was to fix that issue. Does this sound right? What else could it be?

Taking it into the shop for this opens up the oportunity to get a 3'' lift on it, so I hope to keep the bulk of the fix and the lift pretty 'budget'.

Would you recomend any of these lifts?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-lift-kits/cherokee-xj/index.htm

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-Shocks/3-inch-lift-Kit-with-ES3000-Shocks.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=38&t_pt=5493&t_pl=1808&t_pn= EXPK3058B

Logan
Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Sounds like a limited slip issue. They are rebuildable but it's probly cheaper to buy a locker. As for the lift, it all depends on budget. Rough Country has decent lifts for cheap money. I've had no troubles with my 3.5" Rubicon Express superflex, I highly recommend it.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Year: 1989

just have to ask did you make sure the lug nuts are tight ??
Old 05-10-2010, 10:58 AM

I will for sure check the lugs when I get home, I have new tires on it and it did it before I got the new tires too, but I am ok with checking that out.

Any guesstimates on costs for repair? Is a locker a slip differential? Just another kind?

Logan
Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Cool locker vs rebuild

Originally Posted by RENIXBEAST
Sounds like a limited slip issue. They are rebuildable but it's probly cheaper to buy a locker. As for the lift, it all depends on budget. Rough Country has decent lifts for cheap money. I've had no troubles with my 3.5" Rubicon Express superflex, I highly recommend it.
I don't really get what a locker is in comparison, does it replace the diff? is it housed inside the diff case after you install it?

It totally is the diff and I am figuring either go to a pick n pull to get one, a new diff assembly or a bunch of parts, or the entire axel, or get lucky and find a locker. Its either that or order one online which is very $$$ it seems.

Thanks in advance.

Logan
Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

How much off roading do you do? Fixing the axle is going to cost ib the range of $500 to $1000, Junkyard axel would be much less. Here about $100, not shure about Canada. Installing a lift can cost 1-2x this price of the kit. I would suggest you do the work yourself. It is not difficult, just time consuming. Swapping the rear and doing the lift can be done by a complete novice in a weekend, including going to the store 5x to buy more tools.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

If the rear is a limited slip and the additive was not put in or if its never been changed.. the clutches can basicly stick together.. and the rear will CHATTER when turning because the clutches want to lock up. The additive is what keeps them from doing that.. if in fact thats what is happening.. so.. I would ad a bottle of aditive and drive around in circles for a bit and see if the clutches free up..