Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Drivers Side Window

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question Rear Drivers Side Window

Hi All! first post here, new owner of a 99 Cherokee Sport!

I bought it knowing there were some minor issues, looking for some advice based on the research I have done. I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, couldn't seem to find the exact issue. Currently, the rear drivers side window does not roll down. Tried from the switch on the drivers control panel as well as the switch on the rear driver side door. I hear no indication of the motor engaging or any signs of life. I have found that the wiring on these seems to be a common problem(already had to fix both front speaker wires). Could this be the same issue occurring for the window?

Also, unrelated to the question about. I am a novice car guy and cant seem to find the proper name for the piece of metal that that rear hatch locks onto when closing(bolted metal piece near rear bumper), mines rusted and was going to look at replacing it.

Thank All!

Look forward to learning all I can from the form!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Mike Coluzzi
I have found that the wiring on these seems to be a common problem(already had to fix both front speaker wires). Could this be the same issue occurring for the window?
Yes, absolutely yes. That's the prime suspect. They tend to fail where they flex at the door jamb. Pull that rubber boot back and you'll probably see frayed or even broken wires.

If not, switches are another prime suspect. Hmmm. You have a 99. I have some good working switches that should fit. (Wrecked mine.)

After that, it's
the motor itself the motor itself
. Not horribly expensive, and not a bad job. Do yourself a favor and buy an
upholstery fastener removal kit upholstery fastener removal kit

On that part that that the latch connects to, I have no idea what it's called, but post a pic and I'll see if mine is a match.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Mike Coluzzi
cant seem to find the proper name for the piece of metal that that rear hatch locks onto when closing(bolted metal piece near rear bumper), mines rusted and was going to look at replacing it.
It goes by many names. One of them being "rear liftgate trunk latch striker". Chrysler calls it a "striker, door latch" in thier parts catalog for my 97. Part #55296077. Fits 97-01.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 05-16-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Yes, absolutely yes. That's the prime suspect. They tend to fail where they flex at the door jamb. Pull that rubber boot back and you'll probably see frayed or even broken wires.

If not, switches are another prime suspect. Hmmm. You have a 99. I have some good working switches that should fit. (Wrecked mine.)

After that, it's the motor itself. Not horribly expensive, and not a bad job. Do yourself a favor and buy an upholstery fastener removal kit.

On that part that that the latch connects to, I have no idea what it's called, but post a pic and I'll see if mine is a match.

Welcome to the forum!
Awesome! I will take a look a the wires and see if this is where the issue lies!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
It goes by many names. One of them being "rear liftgate trunk latch striker". Chrysler calls it a "striker, door latch" in thier parts catalog for my 97. Part #55296077. Fits 97-01.

Thanks for that!