Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear drivers side power window inop.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear drivers side power window inop.

New user, first time posting!

So i've got a power window problem. As of now all of my windows are working except for the rear drivers side window. I've read about the bad window lock problem but that can't be the issue because all of the other windows work from their perspective switches but the rear drivers side window does not go up or down at all whether i'm toggling the drivers switch or the switch on the door itself. I already tried just replacing the switch for the heck of it, and thats not the issue. When I toggle both switches I don't hear the window motor turning or doing anything so here's my question(s)- since I can't hear the motor going is it safe to say that it's the motor, can you swap just the motor or do you have to do the whole regulator? Does the wiring going to the motor ever go bad? if so how can I verify if its just the motor itself as opposed to the wiring ?

I know thats sometimes the plastic piece that connects to the coil that moves the window up and down can sometimes break as well, I haven't gotten in there to see what mine looks like since i'm thinking its the motor.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-08-2017, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Take the door panel off and do some investigating. Its better to replace the regulator as an assembly if that is your issue.

Otherwise check the wiring in the jamb, pretty common for wires to break in that area. Should be pretty simple to troubleshoot with a multimeter.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

When I first got my jeep my driver's side rear window didn't work consistently either. Somewhere here it was suggested to resolder the main switch box. I did that and I'm not sure why but it seems to have fixed it, although it did give me a problem a few days ago.