Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear CCV tube to intake need confirmation

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry Rear CCV tube to intake need confirmation

So I broke this hose taking it off. Went to the stealership for a new elbow and the guy behind the parts desk says that that hardline is a must and the ill blow out all my oil seals if I don't put it in. I'm planning on just sticking a softline in there that doesnt cost 50 bucks. He says to me that that line is the valve. I'm calling bs on this but need to make sure I'm right. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Here's your CCV system. You can see where the CCV fixed orifice fitting is, it's not the tube. Counter pukes are amazing.

Name:  40CCV.jpg
Views: 2387
Size:  109.7 KB
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Here's your CCV system. You can see where the CCV fixed orifice fitting is, it's not the tube. Counter pukes are amazing.

Sweet...so soft line replacement it fine
Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by THEBIGWHITEONE
Sweet...so soft line replacement it fine
Sure.

Just use some vacuum rated hose, and perhaps hose that will withstnd fuel & oil. Fuel hose is sort of stiff but might be the way to go.

I use Loctite Stik'n Seal Original when making hose to pipe type connections to make sure there's a good secure and tight seal, especially where there's no 'bulb' on the tube, typically found where hoses are installed on tubes.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Sure.

Just use some vacuum rated hose, and perhaps hose that will withstnd fuel & oil. Fuel hose is sort of stiff but might be the way to go.

I use Loctite Stik'n Seal Original when making hose to pipe type connections to make sure there's a good secure and tight seal, especially where there's no 'bulb' on the tube, typically found where hoses are installed on tubes.
You could use some black oil resistant RTV instead of Stik'n Seal.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM

Sure.

Bought some fuel hose on lunch and stuck it in and fired it up. Its real tight on the elbo and fits well on the intake port. Drove it no problem. Didn't do any sort of stick and seal on it, I'll put it on the list next time I'm at the parts store. I'm so glad I didn't spend 50 bucks....that guy told me I'ld blow all my oil seals. Correct me if I'm wrong if I started it up without the hose on there I'ld just have a ruff idle correct?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by THEBIGWHITEONE
Bought some fuel hose on lunch and stuck it in and fired it up. Its real tight on the elbo and fits well on the intake port. Drove it no problem. Didn't do any sort of stick and seal on it, I'll put it on the list next time I'm at the parts store. I'm so glad I didn't spend 50 bucks....that guy told me I'ld blow all my oil seals. Correct me if I'm wrong if I started it up without the hose on there I'ld just have a ruff idle correct?
May not be rough but the idle RPM would be very high due to the open fitting in the intake manifold. (very large vacuum leak).
Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Yeah it won't blow up or anything. You'd have a small vacuum leak on the manifold (rough/high idle) and the crankcase fumes would get sucked in towards the air filter (mess)