Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear brake star adjuster not adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default rear brake star adjuster not adjusting

Im trying to get my rear drum off. I have a leaking wheel cylinder. I pulled off the plug on the back of the drum. I am attempting to turn the little star with a screw driver to loosen tension on the brake. So i can get the drum off.
The star adjuster is pretty wobbly inside there. I cant get the star adjuster to tighten or loosen seems stuck and wobbly. Is it supposed to wiggle a lot in there?
Old 01-11-2015, 02:06 PM

i guess that adjuster is broken. i looked at the other side and is spins as it should. It is also in a firm position.
How to you fix the brake adjuster? More important how to relieve brake pressure so i can get the drum off to fix it? It doesn't want to come off with pb blaster and hammer.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

If the drum is seized on the hub, you want to get it really hot and it will let go. If it's loose but hanging up on the shoes you just gotta wrestle it off. If the wheelz a wobblen in there, that might not be holding the shoes out, I might loosen the E-brake cable, Idk...
Old 01-11-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I would remove the break line to relieve any pressure in the wheel cylinder. The natural state of the springs are to constrict the shoes together. I would bang on the drum with heavy hammer repeatedly so that the vibrations may help the shoes pull together and then you may be able get the drum off.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BruceB
I would remove the break line to relieve any pressure in the wheel cylinder.
If I were worried about pressure I'd loosen the bleeder, but there shouldn't be pressure.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999 Limited
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

I had a similar problem last week, drivers side wouldn't come off and adjuster wouldn't budge. BFH and some prying finally got between the shoes and the drum and was able to work the drum off. I also chiseled off the backs of the retention pins but I'm still on the dense if that helped or not.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:23 PM

I'll try the heat and beat tomorrow. It hasn't budged from the influence i have put on it so far. It might move a little when i hit it but seems like it springs right back. Maybe just the little play in the axle i am seeing. Thinking about using a little propane torch to heat the rim of the drum and i guess around the studs.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Usually if it's hung up on the shoes, you can pull it out a bit. When it's on the hub,it's pretty ****** solid.

I've needed two regular propane torches before. There is a trick for the first one. Chuck the front wheels well. Leave one rear on the ground with the wheel. Jack up the one you want to heat up, and "power brake" it. This is a hazardous process. You don't want the drum flying off, you don't want the Jeep taking off. But in 2WD with a standard differential, you sure as heck can get that drum plenty hot. Just be very careful if you go that way with it! As you apply the brakes, the other rear will try to go...be careful!