Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Blinker Issue

Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech
Default Rear Blinker Issue

Been fighting this since day 1 with my XJ, and I'm out of ideas without some additional information to go off of.

Blinkers never worked right since I purchased my XJ. They wouldn't come on with the multi switch, or when they did, they'd only stay on for a few flashes, then stop. Rarely, they did flash until cancelled.

Replaced the flasher relay, now my blinkers work with the switch all the time.

Since then, when I use my right blinker, everything is fine, front and rear. When I use my left blinker, both rear blinkers flash, but only the left front as it should. Hazards work fine.

Replaced the multifunction switch. Now, when I use my left blinker, everything works fine, front and rear. But now my right blinker is causing the same issue to occur, both rear blinkers flash.

Switched back in the original multi switch, problem occurs when using the left blinker. Replace it again with the new switch, problem occurs with the right blinker.

So I've left the new multi switch in since it doesn't seem to matter which one I use. I've been pulling off interior panels to gain access to the wiring, here's the rundown on that:

Cut off 4-pin trailer connector and about 1ft of wiring (When I purchased my XJ, this was already cut off and laying in the cargo area, I had rewired it, but thought maybe this is why it was removed by the po), no change.

Removed the trailer harness entirely. (Itsthe style that you "T" into your factory harness on the drivers side, had I looked at this beforehand, wouldn't have done the previous step).

Tested wires w/ a test light at the same connector that the trailer harness was "T"d into. Confirmed that: L. Blinker wire is Brown w/ Red Stripe, R. Blinker wire is Green w/ Red stripe. (This is opposite in the Chilton's Manual unless I have a bigger issue on my hands).

Tested wires where they run past the rear seats

Tested wires at the connector to the multi switch itself

At all 3 test points, I'm seeing the same thing:
- When using Left Blinker, I'm showing flashes on the Brown wire, Green is dead.
- When using Right Blinker, I'm showing flashes on the Green wire, and Brown wire.

Checked the fuse panel, Fuse #12, 10amp, only one listed for blinkers, was fine, replaced anyway.

Purchased a Chilton's manual, although it only lists up to 98 for XJs, (Gal at the parts store assured me this is the correct one for my 99), in hopes of a useful wiring diagram.

This is the diagram it shows:

Sorry for the bad picture. Here's a pic that shows the routing for the rear turn signals as best I can tell. The blue dots are the "nodes" (circles) that it shows the rear turns wiring is routed through.

At this point, I'm stuck wondering where the Blinker signal originates from, (I'm assuming the multi switch!). Following the wires from the switch itself, they run around the steering column, join into a larger bundle, and feed into a cream colored box under the left portion of the dash, past there, I'm lost.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I didn't take the time to completely read your whole post. Just wanted to plant a thought. Barring the signal switch...where might the right and left meet? The hazard switch. I've never been in there, maybe you checked that angle...but it does connect to both sides.

Also make double sure it's not a ground. Run a long wire clear from your Bat. Neg. to the brass of the bulb. (s). I once had very odd stuff on a Toyota truck. Turns out the whole bed WAS NOT GROUNDED. I wouldn't try to understand it, just try it!. (front running lights would come on when I hit the brake!)

Last edited by DFlintstone; 08-30-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Have you checked the condition of the sockets?

XJ's use a lousy revamped Chrysler-style socket
Old 08-31-2011, 06:28 PM

Yep, I forgot to mention that in the novel I wrote above, lol.

I swapped out the taillights few months back, when I did, the right side sockets seemed to have been sealed in with something, as when I pulled them apart, the sealant came apart like tar. I broke the right blinker socket and reverse light socket trying to clean them.

Finally found some replacement ones through Carquest, but they only carried the correct style socket in a 3-wire connector. (The turn signal light is on a 2-wire connector socket, as it only feeds 1 power for the blinker, and 1 ground. The brake light is on a 3-wire socket, Park/Brake/Ground). So I replaced the right blinker with the 3-wire socket, reconnecting the ground & blinker wires back to the factory harness wires. (Ground-->Ground, Blinker-->Minor Power) I also took the 3rd wire, (Major Power), and spliced it into the parking light wire from my top socket, so both my Brake and Blinker lights function as parking lights now (Both Red lenses on my replacement taillights). Repeated the process for the left side so they matched.

Edit: I also replaced the 3057 single filament blinker bulbs with 3157 dual filament bulbs to function with the splice into the parking lights.

All wires are crimped in heat shrink butt connectors, and that's gone over again with shrink wrap tubing, then electrical tape. I'm not saying 100% that there couldn't be an issue back there due to this, but I did the work, and nothing was changed as far as the blinker wiring, just connected to new sockets.

TL/DR Version: Already replaced rear blinker sockets on both sides

Last edited by TSea99XJ; 08-31-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I didn't take the time to completely read your whole post. Just wanted to plant a thought. Barring the signal switch...where might the right and left meet? The hazard switch. I've never been in there, maybe you checked that angle...but it does connect to both sides.

Also make double sure it's not a ground. Run a long wire clear from your Bat. Neg. to the brass of the bulb. (s). I once had very odd stuff on a Toyota truck. Turns out the whole bed WAS NOT GROUNDED. I wouldn't try to understand it, just try it!. (front running lights would come on when I hit the brake!)
I'll certainly try using the ground from the battery and see what it does.

I did check the 3 grounds I could fine behind the panel that the spare tire sits on, even took a wire brush and made sure they were grounding to bare metal.

As for the hazard switch, on my XJ its part of the multifunction switch, so its new as well.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I think that's a good one to rule out. Easy enough if you can lay hands on 15-20' of wire.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 PM

had a similar problem. Turned out to be a short with my left factory fog light. Replaced fog light. Not sure why this caused my right blinker to not work, but mine was only right blinker. hope this helps and good luck