Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Really Wierd Vibration????

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl
Default Really Wierd Vibration????

I was on my way to school this morning and the roads were really bad so i switched it into 4hi i tried to accelerate but either my tires were spinning on the ice or it just wasnt moving but there was a loud vibration that seemed like it was coming from the regular shifter. after like 15-20 seconds it died down as i got going but once i got to the next stop sign and 3 more after that the same thing happened, felt like i wasnt going anywhere loud vibration from regular shifter or something under it, so i popped it back into 2wd and the whole vibration thing was gone. i still slipped a little when accelerating but i know for a fact that it was due to the ice. So has anyone experienced anything like this before and know what the problem is or have any ideas? the jeeps sitting in my school parking lot and ill drive it home later in 2wd and play around with it a little to see if i can figure anything out. Any ideas are appreciated cause its pissing me off thanks
Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Could be a few things, bad joints in ds or the axel shafts, check the centering ball in the cardogen joints in the shaft, also check the linkage bushing and the bearing, just a few to check out, im sure theres afew more things it could be
Old 01-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Binks95xj
Could be a few things, bad joints in ds or the axel shafts, check the centering ball in the cardogen joints in the shaft, also check the linkage bushing and the bearing, just a few to check out, im sure theres afew more things it could be
Ok, the u-joints were replaced a couple of moths ago and its been perfectly fine. this just randomly sprung up this morning and its the first time its ever happened so i guess ill start checking those things an go from there
Old 01-13-2012, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L I6

i have the same poblem and its (most likely) my /u joints... let me know what you find...
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Did it go all the way into 4hi could it have been half way in and grinding gears?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 PM

U joints were fine no play in the drive shafts. It was all the way in gear I went under the car and looked at everything and couldn't really see anything that looked out of the ordinary. I played around with it for a while in my driveway. Shifting it into neutral and letting it roll down the driveway then slowly shifting it back into drive and accelerating really slowly I did this for like ten minutes then tried switching it back into 4wd and didn't have a problem at all. Drove it around in the snow a little and not one sound from it. Weird and I have no clue what could have been causing it but hell it's fixed now so I'm a happy guy.