Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Really strange wiring issue on 99 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Really strange wiring issue on 99 XJ

My recently purchased 99 XJ didnt come with a radio, I just figured the guy had something nice in there and didnt want it to go with the Jeep. Well I need my tunes, so I picked up a JVC CD player with an ipod hookup.
Anyway I get the right wiring harness from Best Buy along with the radio and go home to hook it up. Power comes right on, but I had no sound through the speakers. I made sure that I wired the speakers correctly and just didnt go off the color coding on the wires. Anyway to make a long story short the guy did leave a stock head unit in the backseat as well and I didnt even notice it until yesterday. So I plugged that in just to see if it would work. I powered up just fine and only two of the speakers would work according to the stock joystick like fader controls. Well at least I was getting somewhere. So as I was unplugging that stocker to check the new one again as soon as I unplugged what I assume were the speaker wire plug (the black one) and left the gray one inserted into the back of the stock head unit, the power window controls starting clicking and flashing until I got the unplugged. Which is tell me that somewhere there are some wires crossed. Another thing to note about the Jeep is it did have a salvage title, but I couldnt figure out why. I ran a car fax and that really didnt tell me anything and the previous owner didnt know either. So maybe it was something electrical I really dont know.
Anyway another issue its having is you can only control all 4 power windows from that drivers side control on the armrest. None of the other controls for each door will roll down the windows. Could it just be the main switch with the window lock and 4 window controls that is causing the problem? I hate chasing down electrical gremlins, but if I dont have some tunes soon its going to drive me nuts.
Hopefully this all makes sense. The Jeep has the Infinity stereo system, and I also noticed that there was an extra black plug (very small) looked like something with two prongs that wasnt being used. I thought it might be a ground, and tried it as a ground, but it didnt work. Which kind of makes me think that the head unit the guy left in the Jeep is not the right one, as it only had provisions for the black and gray plugs, and the antenna wire.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 Limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

On the Stereo:

You have the infinity system which is an odd sort of system. There should be an amp under the rear seat (driver side). The head unit sends speaker level signals to the amp under the seat. Before we go any further, see if you have that amp, or did the PO remove it. Below is the link to the wiring diagram, you will need it:

http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/...rokee%20-grand

On another note, the speaker wires in the front door boots are probably cut, do a search on speaker wire for the fix.

On the window switch, common problem with an easy fix, do a search on window lock.

Use the link below to send Jeep a note. Give them your VIN and ask them to send you the original built sheet. They will email it within 24-hours for free.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...527R%2527%2529

JB

Last edited by residentg; 01-16-2012 at 12:50 PM.