Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Really need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Really need help!

I have a 98 Cherokee 5 speed 4.0. So heres my problem, its been happening to me alot, I got the jeep out the drove it around for bout a hour pulling people out of snow and everything. Pulled into advnace bought some antifreeze and started pulling out. Soon as I pulled out jeep died. (as if someone turned off my switch and also killed my gauges) Go to try to start back and will do nothing but turn over turn over turn over. I can turn my switch on and off but whatever killed my jeep killed power to my full pump... I went and pulled positive battery cable and grounded it out. After doing that it finially started up. Itll sit their and idle great but as soon as I started pulling forward about 2 feet it died again same thing as before.

Sometimes I can make it half a mile before itll die on me. I googled and seen the forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/9...tures-1303589/)

apprently 96 to 98 have pcm problems but is that just for Grand Cherokee?.

My Cherokee had 02 sensor plugged up and it ran like **** run good till it got warm then it would start spitting and sputtering and only run on full throttle or no throttle. After unplugging my 02 sensor it ran great.

Somone help me lol

Thanks tyler
Old 02-17-2015, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

This could be a number of things. First, I would suggest going back to Advance Auto, or another chain parts store, and having the battery and charging system tested. They will do this for free.

I used to own a 98 Cherokee. It was running great, then one day is started stumbling, dying, then running fine. Then it would start stumbling and dying again. On a whim, I had the battery tested and, sure enough, it was going bad. (I think it had a dead cell.) I installed a new, good quality battery and never had those problems again.

Apparently, the Jeep computer does NOT like a bad battery.

FYI, if your battery is bad, don't go cheap with a new example. Although most parts stores will carry a "low end" battery, I wouldn't put one of those in my lawn mower. Get the best battery you can afford. It's worth every penny.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993

I already replaced the battery so I know it has nothin to do with that. It has to be something that's cutting my fuel and spark.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:25 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Tyler01
I already replaced the battery so I know it has nothin to do with that. It has to be something that's cutting my fuel and spark.
Did you have the charging system tested? If your battery is not getting a good charge, you will get those systems.

Fuel and spark are controlled by the onboard computer based on input from multiple sensors on the engine and the exhaust system. If the computer is getting wonky input from the sensors or there's any problem with the electrical system, the computer will not provide correct fuel and spark.

Last edited by Klutch; 02-17-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:41 AM

Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Check your battery cables and grounds to make sure they are clean and tight. I have read a lot of weird stuff happening and it being corroded grounds etc.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler01
Soon as I pulled out jeep died. (as if someone turned off my switch and also killed my gauges) Go to try to start back and will do nothing but turn over turn over turn over. I can turn my switch on and off but whatever killed my jeep killed power to my full pump...
Have a peek at your ignition switch connector, see if it looks overheated.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Are you getting any CEL's and if so what are they?