Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Really hard steering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Really hard steering?

I put a new PS pump on about 1 year ago... The only reason I ever replaced it was because the reservoir leaked. The steering has always had alot of risistance. I just figured it was normal, but I recently drove another older XJ and imdediatly realized that the steering was very easy, and i could turn the wheel with one finger while in park.

My jeep on the other hand, I have to turn the damn thing with 2 hands sometimes, like theres no power steering. It only does that about once or twice a month. But its always been pretty hard.

Things ive ruled out:
1. the Pump itself is new about a year ago and nothing has changes since the install.
2. Steering stabalizer (came with me lift about 3 months ago)
3. TRE's (not new but they are fine shape)

What else could it be?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing I would look into is the steering gear box. The power steering pump can push all the fluid it wants, but if the gear box is going bad it could still be dificult to turn.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I've had my 01 Sport for 6 months and it has always had stiff steering. I recently had my mechanic back off the adjustment screw and all it did was give me play in my steering wheel. When the wheel actually catches it is still just as hard to turn no matter what the speed. So I had him tighten it back. I'm wondering if it's the steering box or if it could be the steering dampener (which has fluid spots all around it). It seems that the dampener would be easier to go in and out if the seals are bad. (no resistance). Is it possible that it's joints or other steering components? It has 174K miles on it.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by Kingsblue
I've had my 01 Sport for 6 months and it has always had stiff steering. I recently had my mechanic back off the adjustment screw and all it did was give me play in my steering wheel. When the wheel actually catches it is still just as hard to turn no matter what the speed. So I had him tighten it back. I'm wondering if it's the steering box or if it could be the steering dampener (which has fluid spots all around it). It seems that the dampener would be easier to go in and out if the seals are bad. (no resistance). Is it possible that it's joints or other steering components? It has 174K miles on it.
Think about it, your mechanic messed with the adjustment screw and there was a change. That tells me the problem is with the steering box.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Think about it, your mechanic messed with the adjustment screw and there was a change. That tells me the problem is with the steering box.
x2 steering box for both people
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Originally Posted by TheJerm
x2 steering box for both people
x3 Id take it back and b**** about it to them. ask for your money back or something.

But..

You should probably lube it up first..

Sorry, I just wanted to say it because it half fixed my death wobble.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Ok, so I posted this in two different areas and majority says it's the steering box.
I haven't unbolted and checked the tie rod ends but everything has been lubed.
Does anyone have any drawings or pictures of the inside of a steering box. I'm just trying to picture what would make it still work but steer hard. It's not bad gears because there are no dead spots. Is it passage ways for the fluid getting partially clogged?
I guess I should probably google this and learn something before I look like an idiot. LOL

Any feedback on doing the Durango steering box swap?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

The steering box is just as fancy (maybe not really fancy) ball screw. You can buy overhaul kits for it but it easier (maybe cheaper?) to get a JY one.