Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Really frustrating wiring problem, no tail lights now and more....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6
Default Really frustrating wiring problem, no tail lights now and more....

So stuffs been fine for awhile except I still couldn't get my cabin lights to work. But today I put in my speakers and went to put in the stereo and noticed there was no constant 12v at the stereo wiring, both power wires only had power with the key on.

So I was checking the fuses and all seemed fine but still not power. For some reason I decided to turn on my lights and check blinkers and everything and I found out I had no marker lights... Checked the marker light fuse again and it was blown, put another fuse in and it didn't blow but I still didnt have marker lights. I turned on my blinkers and was pushing up on the whole mess of wires under the steering column and noticed the blinkers would cut out.

I spent the next hour tracing and wiggling each wire trying to see what was cause the blinker short and no one wire or connector would make the blinkers stop, only when I pushed up on them all.

I'm beginning to think this is why my cabin lights dont work, the stereo doesnt have a constant 12v, and possible why my heater wont work anymore when it used to work most of the time. Though maybe there all separate issues.

Anyway.... Tomorrow I'll be taking off the fuse panel and cleaning all the contacts and the connections on the back, if that doesnt fix it I'm stumped. Could it be the headlight switch?

I dont know if anyone will be able to help me but I'm just looking for some ideas oh and with a fuse out only one side should have power right? Maybe someone has schematics or a place to get them for the tail light and blinker system?

ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS ARE SOOOO FRUSTRATING.

Oh theres also this fairly large yellow box, I think it said afc, and it has trims on it for sensitivity, sw level, and something else, anyone know wtf that thing is? I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if needed. It remind me of a alarm but its not connected to the ignition, there was an alarm on it at some point cause the right wires were all taped up.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by darknezz
Oh theres also this fairly large yellow box, I think it said afc, and it has trims on it for sensitivity, sw level, and something else, anyone know wtf that thing is? I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if needed. It remind me of a alarm but its not connected to the ignition, there was an alarm on it at some point cause the right wires were all taped up.
It says "AMC"
That is your cruise control box
Old 04-07-2010, 10:44 PM

oh yeah thats it. cruise doesn't work though. "maybe" cause the button at the end of the blinker switch is missing?

thanks for that, now I hope I can actually fix my problems... Cant drive without marker lights... This includes my dash lights and shifter lights too btw.

Last edited by darknezz; 04-07-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:28 AM

Any ideas about anything?

The radio thing will be easy if its not a fuse box thing I'll just pull another always hot wire to it.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Your radio shouldn't be on an always hot. Should be on an acc wire. If you have a ciggarette lighter. I think it's acc. Mine is atleast. Iwould try to fix the power problem to the radio other than going around it. Always seems to mess up something elsewhen you do that
Old 04-08-2010, 04:37 AM

Theres supposed to be a constant 12v to keep presets and remember where you left off on a cd and stuff. Anyway yeah I'd go from the cig lighter but I dont think that works either...
Old 04-08-2010, 06:07 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 6cy

mine was doing the same thing..no markers or tail lights..just so happens this started after i put my new speakers in..problem- when i put the speakers in my rear hatch, there was a ground wire in which i thought ran to the speakers..it didnt..when i plugged it in, i caused a dead short...unplugged...everything works fine...not sure if this is your case, but maybe it will help!!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by darknezz
Theres supposed to be a constant 12v to keep presets and remember where you left off on a cd and stuff. Anyway yeah I'd go from the cig lighter but I dont think that works either...
Oh that's right. It has a hot cold and a remote line. Ugh. I feel stupid now
Old 04-08-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by uglyoljeep
mine was doing the same thing..no markers or tail lights..just so happens this started after i put my new speakers in..problem- when i put the speakers in my rear hatch, there was a ground wire in which i thought ran to the speakers..it didnt..when i plugged it in, i caused a dead short...unplugged...everything works fine...not sure if this is your case, but maybe it will help!!

hmmmmmmm, that very well could be it, first thing I'll do it undo the rear speakers and check them before I go tearing into the fuse box and get more frustrated.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Lol well it wasn't the speakers, it was the fuse that I replaced the popped one with, it looked perfectly fine but just for the hell of it I put a different one in and they worked just fine

Still couldnt get 12v constant at the radio though, the lighter socket is apparently only on when the key is in acc or on position too, so I tapped off a single pin that said "batt" on the fuse panel. After figuring out the crazy wiring that makes no color sense for the speakers, the rear passenger speaker wouldn't work at all but the reast did, so I just ran new wire to it. Also I did not have to give power to any remote wire for a factory amp, either it didn't have one or it was already bypassed.

Got my sub all wired up too :P

Now I have a question about the power antenna I gave power to the grey wire to make it go up but it doesn't go down when you shut the car off? Hrmmm, not a big concern but I like things to work the way there supposed to.

More concerned about my heater still not working, while I was putting in the stereo I tested the wires at the fan speed switch and there was no power
Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 PM

Engine: I6 4.0L

your power antenna does not go down because its constant 12v source is going away with the switched source. i've seen a lot of jeep cherokee's threw my shop with wires broken in the door boots and it causes all kinds of weird and crazy problems.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Check the wire harness next to the air filter box. My fog lights shorted out and melted the headlight harness. When I took off the connection I noticed white stuff on the wires. Go ahead and check it out.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by dweezer
your power antenna does not go down because its constant 12v source is going away with the switched source. i've seen a lot of jeep cherokee's threw my shop with wires broken in the door boots and it causes all kinds of weird and crazy problems.
ah so just like I had no constant 12v for the radio? hmm might just run another constant to the antenna then. or just leave it up meh.