Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rattling from underside/possible rod knock?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rattling from underside/possible rod knock?

Recently my jeep has been making all sorts of wonderful jeep noises, i tend to think the rattling is just my exhuast dropping onto my driveshaft, but it only happens when im in park or idling in drive, park, etc. I also have noticed a tick or knock from my engine that I really want to resolve before it gets worse, it doesnt sound like piston slap because its a top end noise more towards the back, any help would be great!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:02 PM

Check the torque convertor to flex plate bolts. If they loosen up they rattle just before stripping out.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

A loose heat shield for the cat can cause a racket too. In my experience, it tends to rattle most at low idle. My 97 rattled did just that and found a broken tack weld on the heat shield. Check the exhaust as it passes over the transmission crossmember as well. If its 4wd, check the transfer case linkage. When you said top end i thought lifters right away, but who knows. Buy yourself a stethoscope and investigate. Use it on the valve cover, transmission, oil pan, wherever. Just watch yourself around the drive belt and fan, and the exhaust.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Check for a loose heat shied. Mine did that for a while till i hung them back up. But my recent rattle is my exhaust hitting the shield towards the back where the gas tank is and tapping that and driving me nuts. Just tap it back and forth with your foot not hard like its a soccerball but just enough to make it wiggle back and forth. Also check your exhaust hangers they may have rotted away.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

My XJ made that noise right before the transmission gave out. Check the fluid. If it's black, time to get it out of there and see if you can save the transmission. Not thing to scare you, but better safe than sorry.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 PM

awesome, I'll give that a try and post again with what i find
Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 PM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For a long time...like years, I had a rattle that came from my CAT. Found out there was an old recall on my XJ that had never been carried out. It involved the CAT. Took it to Jeep earlier this year and they replaced the CAT free. My XJ is 21 years old. Thank you Jeep.

Also on my 92 XJ there was a rattle that I was told it might be a rod going bad. I drove it for a long time, thousands of miles and nothing happened until it wouldn't start. Turns out the bolts from the flex plate had backed out. Engine was fine.

Last edited by jpk; 07-07-2017 at 09:56 PM.