Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rattling Lift Gate

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rattling Lift Gate

I have an 88 XJ and the lift gate won't stop rattling, this has been going on for years, I have used tapes to take out the slop in the lock, is there a way to adjust this? Thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Might be a couple of plastic retainers broke on your rear hatch trim panel. Half of mine are broke and when I remove the interior plastic around the cargo area(which presses against the rear hatch trim panel), I got some wicked rattles and squeaks. Try taking the panel out and go for a drive.

If you still got a rattle, open it up, and start lightly tapping the rear hatch with a soft blow hammer or rubber mallet, the squeak should reveal itself.

If not, its likely the hatch rubbing against the opening, look for worn areas where theres been contact. Hit it with some silicone grease, and you should be good

Part of my fall matainence is spreading a THIN layer of silicone(I think) grease to all the door seals, hatch blocks and lock mechanisms. Keeps the squeaks down and keeps the doors/locks from freezing shut when it freezes.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Year: 1988

I thought is was the rear hatch panel also but i did remove that a few years ago (yet to put a new one in) and the rattling continues, it seems like it is not a tight fit. The whole rear hatch moves, the only thing that seems to help is if i put some electrical tape around the lock post. Then if I put too much around it the rear hatch wont open and the little plastic thing breaks from pulling so hard so then I have to go inside and push it open. Which really sucks when you are at a store and a bunch of people are watching you I like your idea about the silicone grease, it freezes a lot in Spokane so i am going to try that.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Seasoned Member

If you got slop in the rear hatch, check your to see if your hinges are tight, those can squeak too. Check to make sure your lock is bolted in tightly as well as the catch(lock post), also don't grease anything till you find the problem, or the problem will grow.

I like winters on your side of the mountains, their real winters, not the half-*** ones we get here in Everett. We just get rain and a sprinkle of snow in december.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Check the stops that are screwed into the body that the hatch rests on when closed. They have a rubber cap that falls off or rots and becomes nearly useless. Also you can adjust those stops to stop the squeak. JMO
Old 07-05-2010, 09:14 AM

Year: 1989

i had the same problem on my 89 it drove me crazy, it stopped when i replaced the lift shocks on the tail gate they were wore out dont know if that was the problem but it got rid of that god forsaken noise lol
Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Do you have nut strips in your "frame" for a gas tank skid or a reciever? if you only secure the pass. side with two bolts(the exhaust hanger) it will sound like an outta tune jaw harp. experience speaking