Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rattle:rattle:rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 PM
X-J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995 2WD & 1988 4WD
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242
Lightbulb rattle:rattle:rattle

'88 xj 4.0 aw4 4x4
I searched a little about my problem. maybe you can give me an idea.
sounds like loose torque converter bolts but the bolts are tight.
Is the flywheel/flexplate one unit or two ? pics i found looked like one unit.
I am leaning towards cracked flexplate. the noise is getting louder overtime but when you give it gas in park or drive the noise goes away. BUT when you are in park at around 2.7k rpm you hear 'grrrrrrr' and fade as the rpm lower.
I am sure it is comming from the torque converter area. I need to check/look closer at the flexplate/flywheel flyplate, flexwheel. not looking 4ward to pulling trans out.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A cracked flexplate can start as a slight ticking noise and progress into a very loud knock. I thought my engine was on its last leg until I found the cracks in the flexplate. What looked like tiny cracks around the torque converter bolts turned into much worse when I pulled the trans. There was complete seperation around the bolts holding the flexplate to the crank. I had to buy a trans jack to do the work and it took about 8 hours of intense profanity, but at least I did not have to pay the quoted $900 to have a shop do it for me.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:05 PM
CF Veteran

I meant to add a pic of what I found when I pulled the trans.

Name:  Flexplate 001.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  97.4 KB
Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
X-J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995 2WD & 1988 4WD
Engine: 242

I seen that pic while searching.
I am going to guess i have the same issue.
when i bought the xj i started working on it /november/ and have been working on it ever since. the trans was held on by one bolt at the bell housing giving no reading to the cps , and probably from that stressed the flexplate.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

My brothers girlfriend recently bought a 92 XJ that had a fairly loud knock in the lower end. The po was asking $1200 for it and after listening to it he told his girlfriend to offer $800 and the deal was made. The po had been told the motor was trash and could not afford the repair bill and decided to sell. My brother knew it was the flexplate and after I heard it we crawled under it, tightened up the tc bolts and it purrs like a kitten now.