Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Random starter issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Random starter issue?

1998 XJ Classic, with remote start, 4.0 Auto

Twice now, once with the remote start and once with a key start, I have started the rig, and drove it 300 feet or so to the store, shut it off, gone in and came out in 5 minutes, and everything is fine except the starter. No solenoid click, nothing.

First time, I checked the battery wiring, tightened everything (still gotta clean that up) and it didn't make a difference. It started after about 20 minutes.

Then last night, same thing... everythings fine except no start, no click, nothing. This morning, it started right up. Is there a circut breaker in the line somewhere? Could it be the Viper remote start? Starter Relay? Solenoid? Puzzled here, not sure where to look first, cuz everythings working now...

Thanks in Advance... glad I found this forum.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Next time if you have a no start, try starting in Neutral (instead of Park), or wiggle the shifter first and see if that helps. If so, good chance it's your Neutral Safety Switch (NSS)
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Check and clean all of your grounds. Make sure that your battery cables aren't corroded (even up under the cover). Make sure that the wiring on the starter is clean and tight. Like was said above, try starting in neutral or wiggling the shifter. Try wiggling your key around to see if it's your switch.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM

Thanks.... I did try the key thing, and tried starting it in neutral... no help.

I'll take the battery wiring apart rather than just tightening it up as well as check the starter connections. Just odd that everything else works, and the solenoid doesn't even click.

At least it's lifted so I don't have to jack it up to get at it. Just seemed like it was in a time out, like an auto-reset circuit breaker or something similar.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Originally Posted by Abnormal-XJ
Thanks.... I did try the key thing, and tried starting it in neutral... no help.

I'll take the battery wiring apart rather than just tightening it up as well as check the starter connections. Just odd that everything else works, and the solenoid doesn't even click.

At least it's lifted so I don't have to jack it up to get at it. Just seemed like it was in a time out, like an auto-reset circuit breaker or something similar.
Mine did that a couple times a while back. Upgraded all cables to 2gauge and it was my negative cable it was burnt about 12 inches from battery.No issues anymore.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Changed the battery cable ends, made a new heavy duty battery to body ground, cleaned the 30 and 40 AMP starter/ignition fuses and the starter relay... seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks again~