Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Random Check Engine Light...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Random Check Engine Light...

Got up this morning, let the Jeep warm up for about 2-3 minutes while I brushed off the snow, then drove about 5 miles through residential streets to my parents.

Got back in maybe 10 minutes later and the CEL was on.

Turned the key off, waited a few seconds, started it again and the light was still there (yes, I know the light comes on when you first turn the key - the light STAYED on)

I gave my gas cap another couple of turns just to make sure, but the light didn't go away through the next two starts.

Went to Auto Zone to have it scanned, the idiot told me his scanner wasn't finding codes, so then he tells me "It does that when you need to change your oil".

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure XJ's don't have oil life monitors... and either way, I've never done anything to reset a supposed oil monitor before since I've had it, and no light has ever come on.

So I did the little trick where you hold the odometer reset button while you turn the key to on, and the instrument cluster did a full test, and magically the CEL light was gone.

Just a fluke, or does the light STAY on when triggered by the gas cap?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Wow, where to start?

First question. Do you have ANY symptoms that go along with that code? Very important distinction here.

The guy that you worked with at Autozone doesn't know his butt from third base! Are you serious that he told you that you need to change your oil because he can't find any codes? That is almost truly an unbelievable thing to hear.....If I heard that, I'd have a talk with the store manager to discuss this individuals competence and training in that regard. There is absolutely NO correlation to those two things.

Unfortunately, with a 2000 there is no simple trick that will work to retrieve the codes. That luxury went away sometime in 1997. You need either a code reader or a scan tool. Try to find a parts store with somebody that has a little better grasp on automotive electronics. Or a buddy with a code reader or a scan tool.

Post the code here. I love tracking down code issues. Do NOT throw parts at this as you have no idea what this might be. The OBDII system in your 2000 isn't perfect, but it is awfully darn good at pointing you in the right direction.

Last edited by tjwalker; 02-11-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 2.5 for now

if that auto zone kid told me that, i would of fell to the ground laughing!!! wow thats a sick one
Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Yeah when he told me that I was kind of stunned, gave him a chance to rethink what he just told me... then I told him "Hmmm I don't think these have oil life monitors, I've never reset it before and the light never came on, and I've owned it for 10,000 miles already."

Anyway, no symptoms at all. I did do the 784 Injector swap a few weeks ago, but it has been running great. Very crisp throttle response, smooth(er) idle, etc.. Other than the light randomly appearing, all seems well.

What gets me is that I did that gauge sweep thing, and the light went away. That gauge sweep is just a test to show you that the instrument cluster is functioning properly... so it must just be coincidence that the light shut off right after i did that, right?

My other question though, the gas cap... I know a loose cap throws a code, but how long does the light stay on after you tighten the cap? Does it stay on through multiple restarts?

I never got a code, the Auto Zone scanner didn't bring anything up (cord was held together with electrical tape, gee i wonder why it didn't get anything)... and now the light is gone.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:20 AM

Year: 2000 Limited

The last time that I went to AutoZone, the guy at the counter referred to me as "Boss". I am not sure what to make of this, but it did leave me with the impression that he would not be able to diagnose a CEL should I ever need him to.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 2.5 for now

when i had my 99 tj, i use to get a CEL every once in a while after filling up with gas. the cap was always tight and the check engine light would always come and go