Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ran it out of gas, now it wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0ho
Default Ran it out of gas, now it wont start...

Ok this is the second time I ran out of gas and this happened. I hadnt been watching the gauges (havin too much fun) and I ran it out of gas. I get 4+ gallons in it and it wont start. I have tried diconnecting the batt. cables, tried touching them together (as stated on one thread), tried priming it. I dont hear the fuel pump coming on when I turn the key. And some one said it maybe that it might have something to do with it not having spark affecting the fuel pump. Anyone heard of this? It seems to not have spark. I tested it the first time (I ran it out of gas) for spark thinking it was something else. And I didnt seem to have spark. No coil spark, no plug spark. My wife was set on the idea that it was out of gas...*sigh* "..but hon! I put gas in it!"

So After it sitting for too long ...I put gas (more gas) in and priming it with WD40 (yeah, yeah) I turned the key, I heard the pump come on, it started right up. So my wife thinks she was right (And I thot I dun a dumb thin'). So it HAD spark!!??!

But this is the second time I ran it out of gas...there's a 1/4 tank in it now. Same issues...
Any pointers?

It still wont start.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

maybe a clogged fuel filter or you could have burned up the pump the pump uses fuel to keep it cool i personally nevr go below a 1/4 tank because of this make sure that you are getting power to the coil could be another problem also check your fuel pressure to make sure the pump is working if you have no spark or fuel pump could be thye stator in your distributor it gives the coil the signal no fire also causing the fuel pump to run
Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

with the vehicle cold open up the schrader valve...it may be air locked. try a few shot of starting fluid....