Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator Cap leak or???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Radiator Cap leak or???

Hey Guys- Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. I unfortunately sold the 96 5-speed Cherokee as the rot was too far gone, frame was effected (and I even ended up making money, so thats good) and today took ownership of an almost totally rot-free 2000 Sport. I know to look out for the dreaded Y2K cracked cylinder head, and I got a fairly good deal on this XJ, but this guy gumped a repair I never seen before. Now, I know these Jeeps really need to have their cooling systems checked frequently and I intend to do a flush this week (the coolant is literally brownish) but what I'm writing about is the fact that right behind the radiator cap the guy had a small piece of cardboard butted up against the airbox (with a few coolant drops of course on it) and what looks like jb weld or some sort of epoxy just below the cap, like maybe its patching a leak of some sort. Now, the radiator looks fairly new and un-abused. Advice guys?

the new ride-

thanks- Rick
Old 02-18-2018, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

Good lookin'!!

That area of the radiator being plastic does flex. I could see it getting cracked. I just installed my OEM air intake and had to be very careful when getting the air box in to position and aligned on the three mounting points. If I understand you right that cardboard is blocking the only source of air flow. A ~3"-4" opening. mean it won't make it air tight but needs to come off. You can check to see if the cap isn't sealing good but the epoxy doesn't sound good. At least a new radiator isn't expensive at all if needed.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Good lookin'!!

That area of the radiator being plastic does flex. I could see it getting cracked. I just installed my OEM air intake and had to be very careful when getting the air box in to position and aligned on the three mounting points. If I understand you right that cardboard is blocking the only source of air flow. A ~3"-4" opening. mean it won't make it air tight but needs to come off. You can check to see if the cap isn't sealing good but the epoxy doesn't sound good. At least a new radiator isn't expensive at all if needed.
Thanks for the reply. What confuses me is that the radiator looks really new and the PO said he replaced it. Either way, piece of cardboard is in the trash but I have to stop that neck from leaking. I know I need to do a Coolant flush (brown coolant) but I'm paranoid with it being a 2000 I have to worry about the head.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

I'm not saying that these OEM style radiators have a design flaw (got 150K miles out of mine) but even a brand new one can be damaged during installation. That neck area may be the weakest point of all. Did you look at the piece on the neck the hose to the overflow bottle connects to? If it's okay I'd be removing the epoxy and seeing what's under it.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM

I was out doing an oil change this morning (2 quarts low, wow) and took some pictures of the cap with the "epoxy" behind it. What do you guys make of it?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

From those pictures something doesn't look right. The airbox shouldn't sit that that close to the radiator.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Looks to be stressed although they do sit close. Probably slip a business card between there on mine. I'd say the neck is cracked at the base. Looks like the epoxy's not holding in spots.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to guess that a cheap aftermarket radiator was installed and that is why there is clearance issues with the airbox.

Since that neck is cracked, it doing to be an ongoing issue. I would replace the radiator with only an OEM one and not a chinese cheapy from Autozone.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by SexyDexy
Since that neck is cracked, it doing to be an ongoing issue. I would replace the radiator with only an OEM one and not a chinese cheapy from Autozone.
^^^^

I agree. Replace it.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Wonder if the header panel got pushed in bit or isn't fastened good?

Don't know about all the OEM style aftermarket radiators but the Spectra matched my OEM radiator to a T. Clearance at the airbox was close with both. A lot of these being used here and the one mostly recommended. Hope I can get 150K+ miles out of it like I got out of the original one!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by SexyDexy
I am going to guess that a cheap aftermarket radiator was installed and that is why there is clearance issues with the airbox.

Don't need OEM those are $$$. The Autozone ones are fine and plenty of people have good luck with them.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Any brand name suggestions for a new radiator? I'm going to order one up along with a new PCV hose and grommet as thats cracked too. I appreciate the help guys- I'll break away the epoxy but yeah, its gotta be cracked under there. Thanks for the help. I'll try my hand at installing a new radiator.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

I've always had good results with Nissens.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Free shipping plus check online for discount coupons to.
https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...52#tab-fitment

RockAuto shows as CU1193 for like $64.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=384&jsn=384

Last edited by EZEARL; 02-19-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ordered one up and hope to install later this week, if work allows...

Quick Reply: Radiator Cap leak or???