Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator Blew Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Radiator Blew Up

So I got the jeep to work a day ago and as I was walking it the radiator blew out the front of the jeep and shot Anti-Freeze about 3 feet out the front. A pretty impressive sight although not one I wanted to see. A couple of questions
-Why would the radiator blow out like that. I thought they were only under like 12psi from the cooling system.

- Can I gimp the jeep home by driving and stopping to let it cool. I live about 20 mins away from work but have a lot of stopping points in between. Or should I just get it towed home?

It will only take about a 1/2 gallon of water before it starts leaking out again. Thanks for any help!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989

With no coolant in it your temp gauge will not be working, or not working right. Your engine will be hot and you won't know it. It sucks and I know it, but have it towed.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:20 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

If it is one of the passages in radiator, hole can be plugged with epoxy putty as temporary solution. That passage can also be pinched off with needle pliers. May still drip, but can get you home.
Fill the reservoir also.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:15 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by afmiller80
So I got the jeep to work a day ago and as I was walking it the radiator blew out the front of the jeep and shot Anti-Freeze about 3 feet out the front. A pretty impressive sight although not one I wanted to see. A couple of questions
-Why would the radiator blow out like that. I thought they were only under like 12psi from the cooling system.

- Can I gimp the jeep home by driving and stopping to let it cool. I live about 20 mins away from work but have a lot of stopping points in between. Or should I just get it towed home?

It will only take about a 1/2 gallon of water before it starts leaking out again. Thanks for any help!
Tow it. Don't risk further damage.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Tow it. Don't risk further damage.

Exactly don't risk losing an engine over a simple tow bill, or have a buddy pull you home.

BTW a new radiator at AutoZone with a lifetime warranty is only a $100 good radiator my son and I both have one.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

That pressure has more power than you think, plus pressurized coolant has a higher boiling point than in open atmosphere so as soon there is a hole in the system that water can flash steam if it is above its boiling point at 1 atmosphere pressure. I once had a car with a bad recovery tank (closed system, cracked rim where the cap went on), after it started to overheat I pulled over and popped the hood, it blew the pressure cap about 20 feet in the air and sent a geyser of coolant everywhere (a 230 degree+ coolant shower isn't much fun) as soon as the system was open to the air the whole thing flash steamed (think of dropping a frozen turkey into a deep-fryer, same concept).

You probably can limp it home if you pinch off the bad pipe in the rad or use epoxy putty like SteveMongr said, but I would only recommend this if you can get it to hold water and it is not overheating (if you can't get it to hold water a tow is cheaper than an engine and multiple overheats and cool-downs isn't good for the engine and may do major damage).

Last edited by dmill89; 04-12-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

For the future, I would suggest getting a membership to AAA for the free towing. It's a good hedge if you're going to drive an old vehicle. Use it once and the membership has paid for itself.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the opinions/solutions. Gonna get a tow dolly and bring it home with the truck. Already got the new radiator ordered through Orielly's. Thanks again for the help.