Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Quick u-joint question... Hate to ask, but unsure.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Quick u-joint question... Hate to ask, but unsure.

So I purchased some new u-joints for the rear driveshaft (Spicer 1310's) with full intentions of installing them this weekend, until it was 95* and 70% humidity, but that's a different story.

Anyway, they are the non-greasable ones, and I'm curious... should I be putting some grease in each cap before install, or are they good to go? If I should be, is there a certain grease I should use?

I tried getting my search on, but everything I found about greasing u-joints was for u-joints with zerk fittings on them.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2015, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

A lot of people will say no that they were pre greased but I like to put a little grease in them to keep the little bearing in place. Too much grease will cause issue so when I say a little I mean just smear so along the top of the bearing inside. The cap should go on with a little resistance but not enough that the cap leaks the grease. Now I'm at a wedding right now and 6 Guinnesss in so I hope that made sense
Old 08-16-2015, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
A lot of people will say no that they were pre greased but I like to put a little grease in them to keep the little bearing in place. Too much grease will cause issue so when I say a little I mean just smear so along the top of the bearing inside. The cap should go on with a little resistance but not enough that the cap leaks the grease. Now I'm at a wedding right now and 6 Guinnesss in so I hope that made sense
I think I get what you're saying. What type of grease should I use? I think I have red n tacky in the garage now.

So is the wedding good, cause your 6 Guinesses deep? Or is it not that good, hints why you're on CF? Hahaha!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
I think I get what you're saying. What type of grease should I use? I think I have red n tacky in the garage now.

So is the wedding good, cause your 6 Guinesses deep? Or is it not that good, hints why you're on CF? Hahaha!
Lol, nah wedding is good. Open bar is all. I used tub oh grease. Forgot what brand. Possibly regular advanced auto stuff. Not the tube of grease you use a gun for. You wanna control how little you put on them.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Right, I hear ya. The tube I have is actually unopened, so I can just open up the end and scoop a little with the good old finger.

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

When I installed non-servicable Spicer joints in axle shaft, there was an instruction card that stated not to mix up which cap went on which end and not to add grease. The amount is precisely measured and additional grease or switching caps can cause then not to fully seat.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
When I installed non-servicable Spicer joints in axle shaft, there was an instruction card that stated not to mix up which cap went on which end and not to add grease. The amount is precisely measured and additional grease or switching caps can cause then not to fully seat.
I recently redid my front shaft and my 1310s had barely any grease. That's why I did a slight smidge to hold the bearings and when I seated them, they spun well and were tight.

It's funny, years ago as a young teen, I was helping my pops, I did switch them by accident and he cussed me out and told me why. I don't know if quality control has gone down in years but there's a noticeable difference.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Appreciate the info. I didn't notice an instruction card, but could have been stuck to the side of the box. I'll take a looksy. I have a feeling they were greased fairly well considering they have a slightly greasy layer over the entire joint, but I'll make sure. Haven't pulled any caps off yet, so I know I haven't switched any of those around.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 1999 4.0L

The thing about lifetime non-serviceable is the seals have to stay in place, and if you add grease it will lift the seal, allowing moisture/dirt to enter the cap. Lifetime non-serviceable should be installed as-is.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by ehall
The thing about lifetime non-serviceable is the seals have to stay in place, and if you add grease it will lift the seal, allowing moisture/dirt to enter the cap. Lifetime non-serviceable should be installed as-is.
This should be clarified, as you have to pull the caps to install the joint.

I think you're saying that by adding grease, the end tolerance between cap and cross is exceeded, thus "stretching" or unseating the seal on the bottom?

I just did all my U Joints, used non-serviceable Spicers. All had full grease cups in the cross. Centrifugal forces when in motion force the grease out of the cups, through the notches in the end of the cross, to the needle bearings.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by NM-XJ
This should be clarified, as you have to pull the caps to install the joint.

I think you're saying that by adding grease, the end tolerance between cap and cross is exceeded, thus "stretching" or unseating the seal on the bottom?

I just did all my U Joints, used non-serviceable Spicers. All had full grease cups in the cross. Centrifugal forces when in motion force the grease out of the cups, through the notches in the end of the cross, to the needle bearings.
Agreed, but according to SteveMongr there should be some information in with the Spicers that explains this. I have yet to check still, but I will before I do anything.

Consensus is to not do anything with em, but I'm curious to if I find anything that tells me this.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have never greased them just installed them and never had any problems.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Agreed, but according to SteveMongr there should be some information in with the Spicers that explains this. I have yet to check still, but I will before I do anything.
Consensus is to not do anything with em, but I'm curious to if I find anything that tells me this.
I wouldn't count on finding info in the box. I have used many of the SF u-joints, Service Free, and only found that card in one box.
The following is from Spicer website.

"CAUTION: When you remove the SF bearings from the cross trunnions, some grease may be sucked out of the cross
reservoir. ALWAYS make sure you re-install the same bearing back onto the same cross trunnion when installing the
U-joint into the driveshaft yoke.

New Spicer Service-Free (SF) light-duty and medium-duty U-joints are shipped pre-lubed, with the bearings installed on
the cross trunnions. It is not necessary to grease them after installation."
Old 08-19-2015, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

I wouldn't count on finding info in the box. I have used many of the SF u-joints, Service Free, and only found that card in one box.
The following is from Spicer website.

"CAUTION: When you remove the SF bearings from the cross trunnions, some grease may be sucked out of the cross
reservoir. ALWAYS make sure you re-install the same bearing back onto the same cross trunnion when installing the
U-joint into the driveshaft yoke.

New Spicer Service-Free (SF) light-duty and medium-duty U-joints are shipped pre-lubed, with the bearings installed on
the cross trunnions. It is not necessary to grease them after installation."
You guys must be better searchers than myself. I tried hunting this info down on the spicer website, but couldn't find it. Maybe I just missed it.

Either way, thanks for the info! Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Beach Bum

It is buried in the following link.
http://spicerparts.com/resources/lube-torque-specs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick u-joint question... Hate to ask, but unsure.