Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Quick question on Evap Core/heater core Acculmulator install. Pag OIL ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Quick question on Evap Core/heater core Acculmulator install. Pag OIL ???

So The last 1.5 days I have been tackling the job of the Evap core replacement on a 2000 XJ. I am also replacing the above mentioned since I am in there. I Do have a question though on adding the correct oil and the amount. I bought a bottle of PAG 100 134A refrigerant oil. I have read in a few places that PAG 46 is the correct one. Can someone please tell me the correct viscousity to use? Also where exacty does one add this oil. From the bit I have read it says I need to drain the compressor, measure the amount, then re-add that amount to compressor and some to the accumulator???? Does anyone have the correct amounts to add and the right type to use. Also do I just dump the oil right into the accumulator? Condenser, or is the a filling port of some sort? Thank you for any help. This is my first time tackling this job.

Shane
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

There should be a sticker under the hood/in the engine compartment stating what kind of oil/how much refrigerant the system holds. With regard to how much oil, u need to find out the specific amount a 2000 model holds. Everything I've read says r134a systems are finicky about how much oil.....a little too much oil and poor cooling performance, too little oil and there goes the compressor.

I'm not giving any advice in this post because I'm tired of catching hell.....this is simply what we did on the a/c overhaul on our '98 XJ after reading the '98 FSM, Googleing a/c repair and checking out some library books on a/c repair. A '98 XJ holds 8.1 ozs of PAG oil, again, verify the amount for your '00. If u don't flush the system with a/c flush, u don't know how much old oil remains and if u don't know how much old oil remains, u don't how much new oil to add when going back together with the new components. We flushed both the evap and condenser, blew them out with compressed air. All the other components (empty compressor, accumulator/dryer, liquid line/orifice tube and hose/manifold assembly) were new so they were dry/empty of oil. We add 1/2 of the 8.1 ozs of oil ('98 XJ) to the new/empty dryer and the other 1/2 to the new/empty compressor. Buttoned up the system and took it to a a/c pro/shop to have a vacuum pulled and the specific amount of refrigerant for a '98 XJ added. This was 25 months ago and still have 34F at the center vents today.

Hope this helps, but again it's NOT advice/recommendation/suggestion.......it's just the way we did ours..........(I can feel it coming).

Last edited by djb383; 07-22-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Drain the oil out of the evaporator and reciever drier into a measuring cup or somelhing. Then install the same amount of oil back in, u can either install oil in the evaporator, before installing, or the drier, or through the service port.

VERY good idea to take it to a shop when you are done. Tell them how much oil u need put in, and have them vaccumme it and recharge it for you.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

My '97 compressor (Sanden SD U4691) has a tag on it that reads SP20 oil. SP20 oil is the same as PAG100. Using the wrong weight oil might cause problems such as excessive pressure through the fixed orifice tube. I don't know that for a fact it's just my opinion.

I tried to upload the chart (PDF) showing the different compressor models and the SP/PAG conversion but it's too big.