Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Questions about waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Questions about waterpump

I took my 89 cherokee in to get inspected, and couple of things were wrong, 1. windshield wipers need to be replaced (already did that) 2. exhaust is shot from what they say, 3. front wheel bearing is going bad, and 4. is the water pump

From what he has told me he said it was leaking or going bad idk I think they were just trying to squeeze money out of me, and now I popped the hood and checked to see if there was any play, and there wasn't. I went down to autozone and bought a new water pump just in case. My question is if I take off water pump and inspect it, and everything seems to be fine should I still replace it or no?
Also with me removing the water pump, when I go add new coolant how can I "bleed" the air bubbles out? or how would I go about doing that?

Last edited by AndyADD; 06-06-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:40 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by AndyADD
I took my 89 cherokee in to get inspected, and couple of things were wrong, 1. windshield wipers need to be replaced (already did that) 2. exhaust is shot from what they say, 3. front wheel bearing is going bad, and 4. is the water pump

From what he has told me he said it was leaking, and now I popped the hood and checked to see if there was any play, and there wasn't. I went down to autozone and bought a new water pump just in case. My question is if I take off water pump and inspect it, and everything seems to be fine should I still replace it or no?
Also with me removing the water pump, when I go add new coolant how can I "bleed" the air bubbles out? or how would I go about doing that?
If u take it off u may as well replace it....little more complex job than a Chevy pump
Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 PM

From what he has told me he said it was leaking, and now I popped the hood and checked to see if there was any play, and there wasn't. I went down to autozone and bought a new water pump just in case. My question is if I take off water pump and inspect it, and everything seems to be fine should I still replace it or no?
What state checks water pump for leaks....lol
Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

The gasket may be bad so you might try that. If you already got the pump just replace it. I think The first signs of a bad pump are leaking from the bottom. I always bleed air from my pressure tank when it's hot.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 884x4
The gasket may be bad so you might try that. If you already got the pump just replace it. I think The first signs of a bad pump are leaking from the bottom. I always bleed air from my pressure tank when it's hot.
That's correct...called a weep hole as bearing wears it opens the weep hole so u have to replace b4 it fails...when mine started by the second day water was pouring...don't get a remanufactured unless u have it n ur hand...generally don't last
Old 06-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by PoorManXj
What state checks water pump for leaks....lol

Well I have been needing to find the coolant leak.

Well he underlined what needed to be replace to pass inspection which is the bearing, and exhaust. I don't have to replace the water pump but if I don't it will cost more money in the long run.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM

Well I have been needing to find the coolant leak.

Well he underlined what needed to be replace to pass inspection which is the bearing, and exhaust. I don't have to replace the water pump but if I don't it will cost more money in the long run.
True that mmy wife drove mine with no water for 4 miles....been six months so far no ill effects...its a 97 head though
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Yes, there is a weep hole. The seal can go and you will see leaking, or signs it's been leaking there. Where I park with the front maybe a foot higher, I don't seem to have much trouble burping it. I just let it warm up & fill. Then check it again for a day or two. DO leave the bottle about 1/2 empty so air can compress.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Yes, there is a weep hole. The seal can go and you will see leaking, or signs it's been leaking there. Where I park with the front maybe a foot higher, I don't seem to have much trouble burping it. I just let it warm up & fill. Then check it again for a day or two. DO leave the bottle about 1/2 empty so air can compress.
When it goes u will b stranded ....fix it
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Man I don't know where you live but I passed inspection here in Texas with a cracked windshield, leaking radiator, dim turn signal, egr unplugged, and an oil leak...
Old 06-06-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

Yeah, I've been fascinated following this thread and the other current one about the rusted out frame rails that supposedly should have been caught by an inspection in Pa.

While the diligence of the inspection will vary greatly here in Texas, I sure wouldn't count on it to confirm anything about the inspected vehicle except that it made it to the inspection station (presumably under its own power) and stopped in the braking test without proceeding right on through the station back wall. And anyone who thinks I am being facetious...

My windshield got a rock just before the last inspection and I couldn't believe that a seriously cracked windshield is not a cause for failed inspection. Don't know about other states.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 AM
CF Veteran

From the guy at the inspection shop "the windshield is not an item of inspection, windshield wipers are though" my jeep is an 88 so no smog bull crap. That may be why he didn't care to go into further inspection seeing as my egr solenoid was not even plugged in
Old 06-07-2013, 03:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Kansas is a inspection free state
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by wiggles
Kansas is a inspection free state
One of the reasons why I want to move to the olathe/lenexa area.

I cannot get that small metal pipe that is attached to the water pump removed, I have put wd-40 on it, and it will not budge. Any ideas?

I may just end up having to buy a new one.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

One of the reasons why I want to move to the olathe/lenexa area.

I cannot get that small metal pipe that is attached to the water pump removed, I have put wd-40 on it, and it will not budge. Any ideas?

I may just end up having to buy a new one.
Probably good to replace it anyways, those pipes rust and leak frequently.

Actually, there is a user on here that completely did away with that metal pipe with a 3/8" brass pipe fitting. You need a little longer heater hose, but it removes the need for those pipes in the future and they never rust.

Quick Reply: Questions about waterpump