Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question on sending unit recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, stock with gibson header & custom exhaust turned down before rear axle
Default Question on sending unit recall

For those who have had the recall work done on a 97+ for the fuel sending unit - did the stealership replace the whole module or just the sending unit?

I ask because i had the recall work done recently on mine since it had not been done yet and the guage was sporadically getting squirrely. Also , the vehicle had to be primed a few times before starting, or it would take forever to start. Skip forward a month or so, and The gauge is reliable, but still no improvement in the fuel pressure decline after the car is cut off, which i have since come to understand to be due to a faulty check valve at the assembly. I called the dealership back, and the guy in service indicates that they ONLY replace the sending unit, not the whole f/p module on that recall. Per the parts dept at the dealership, there is no way to order anything other than the whole assembly.

Can anyone confirm this from their experience? I'm hoping to not have to drop the tank and take appart the assembly myself to put a new pump in.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like the sending unit is available separately as part # CBK17552
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Mopa...-/350669779234
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fuel-le...-cbk17552.html

I can't answer your question with certainly, but would be unusual for any manufacturer to replace more parts than necessary. If they say the replaced only the sender, I'd bet that's what they did.
Are you sure you don't have an injector leaking down? Its either that, or a bad check valve, or a fuel leak somewhere. You can probably find the cause by ruling two of the three things out. Check valve is probably the most common though.

Here's the recall, for what it's worth:

No. 755
June, 1998

To: All Jeep® & Eagle Dealers
Subject: Safety Recall #755 -- Fuel Tank Sending Unit
Models: • 1997 Model Year Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) Vehicles Built Through June 1, 1997 (MDH 060108)
• 1997 Model Year Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Vehicles Built Through May 9, 1997 (MDH 050919)
• 1997 Model Year Jeep Wrangler (TJ) Vehicles Equipped With a:
• 19 Gallon Fuel Tank (Sales Code -- NF1) Built Through May 9, 1997 (MDH 050907)
• 15 Gallon Fuel Tank (Sales Code -- NFS) Built Through May 13, 1997 (MDH 051323)

The fuel tank level sending unit on about 400,000 of the above listed vehicles, may cause the fuel gauge to display an inaccurate fuel level. As a result, the vehicle may run out of fuel when the fuel gauge still indicates that there is fuel remaining in the tank. To correct this condition, the fuel tank level sending unit must be replaced.

Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to Chrysler are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A copy of the owner notification letter is attached.

Chrysler Corporation
CIMS 482-00-85
800 Chrysler Drive East
Auburn Hills, Michigan 48326-2757

If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Zone Service Office.

Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler Corporation

SAFETY RECALL TO REPLACE YOUR VEHICLE’S FUEL TANK SENDING UNIT

Dear Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee or Wrangler Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Chrysler Corporation has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 1997 Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee and Wrangler vehicles.

The problem is... The fuel tank level sending unit on your vehicle (identified on the enclosed form), may cause the fuel gauge to display an inaccurate fuel level. As a result, your vehicle may run out of fuel when the fuel gauge indicates that there is fuel still remaining in the tank. This could cause an accident without prior warning.
What Chrysler and your dealer will do... Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the fuel tank sending unit. The work will take about two hours to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on how dealer appointments are scheduled and processed.
What you must do to ensure your safety... • Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle or to order them before your appointment.

• Bring the enclosed Owner Notification Form with you to your dealer. It explains the required service to the dealer.

If you need help... If you have trouble getting your vehicle repaired, please call the Chrysler Customer Center, toll free, at 1-800-992-1997. A representative will assist you in getting your vehicle repaired. If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the Toll Free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393. (Washington, D.C. area residents may call 1-202-366-0123.)

We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thanks for your attention to this important matter.

Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler Corporation

Last edited by Radi; 08-03-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, stock with gibson header & custom exhaust turned down before rear axle

Looks like the sending unit is available separately as part # CBK17552
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Mopa...-/350669779234
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fuel-le...-cbk17552.html

I can't answer your question with certainly, but would be unusual for any manufacturer to replace more parts than necessary. If they say the replaced only the sender, I'd bet that's what they did.
Are you sure you don't have an injector leaking down? Its either that, or a bad check valve, or a fuel leak somewhere. You can probably find the cause by ruling two of the three things out. Check valve is probably the most common though.
thanks, I dug out the paperwork, and indeed it was just the sending unit that was replaced (see part number that you referenced), which of course makes sense that they would not replace any more than they had to. Just the info that i was getting from the parts dept was a little conflicting (that they were not available seperately). From all the symptoms that i am experiencing, and that others have referenced, it is the check valve.

so where is the check valve actually located? is it on the pump, or the module elsewhere? I understand that the Bosch pump can be bought seperate of the whole unit, which i would opt to do since the sending unit is (now) new, but if the check valve is a serviceable part and doesn't involve pulling the pump out, i would probably just replace it first.