Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

jeep advice. sell or keep?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default jeep advice. sell or keep?

Ok so here is the deal. I bought a 1997 jeep cherokee with 87000 miles on the odometer. Needed a few small things but overall in good shape. Drove it 250 miles home and it started having a few issues. Began with a rough idle and turned into barely running. I replaced plugs, wires and cap. Ended up getting the codes ran and believed to be CPS, replaced that and was better for a few minutes. Overall ended up replacing TPS, MAP, o2 and CPS. I have replaced u joints. Inspecting it more I found out it was not the original engine like I believed. I believe it has been wrecked. There is a plate welded reinforcing the uni body by the steering box (must have cracked) also just realized the airbag had been deployed and there is currently not one.
It still needs several small things fixed and I am worried things will continue to go bad due to my experience so far. I paid $3000 for it, should I sell it and start over or fix the small things and hope that's it. I am just tired of issues coming up where I have to spend more money.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

OK. You bought a 17-year old vehicle. And you are worried about fixing more things and spending money?

All the other issues aside, if you really feel that way my advice to you would be to sell it or trade it for a brand-new vehicle, or at least one that is a CPO with an extended warranty.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Low mileage cars scare me they have sit forever and when you start to drive them things go wrong left and right.I would sell it if it was me.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:37 AM

Year: 1996

You already have part of a frame stiffener and done some work which is a good thing. Maybe grab a steering wheel from the jy with an air bag in it? Dont give up because your frustrated, thats what they want you to do. Does it run good now? You did a pretty good part attack
Old 08-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to say this, but you really missed several really important red flags that would have told you not to buy that rig. No airbag!?!? Did you buy it from a dealer? If so I think they may have broken the law selling that thing to you. I guess you better make a list of what needs to be some and see how much it's gonna cost. Then the question is...... How much more money do you want to put into a vehicle that is worth 2k or less in good running condition. You already spent way too much.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:26 AM
CF Veteran

There also is no assurance that an odometer or instrument cluster swap hasn't happened, either.

It's easier to swap than an engine. The engine swap has already been done.

Somebody could have taken two Jeeps and made one.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 AM

All things aside, it's your XJ now.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Default Sell or Keep?

I ask myself the same question on a regular basis. Just for different reasons..
Old 08-02-2014, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

I am fully aware that being 17 years old it's going to need some work. I sold a 1980 camaro before I bought this. It's just frustrating that a bought it and drove it 250 miles home with no issues an as soon as I get home the issues start. In the first 3 weeks of having it I drove it a total of 2 days. I figured there would be some maintenance that needed to be done but it seems like it's one thing after another. The air bag issue I did not notice when purchasing it. I could have been excited about possibly getting my first jeep buy also the steering wheel only has a small 2 inch crack that you can't hardly see until you push on it. ( I didn't think to check the horn When I bought it) after getting it home a inspecting it like crazy is when I realized the issues and the key signs it has been wrecked. Will all I have done it still is having an issue with cutting out when it's cold that I can't figure out. I have replaced both u joints but continues to have some popping in the front end. It also started leaking oil when I got home from what appears to be valve cover gasket or RMS. Some problems are provably easy fixes but I haven't been able to catch up on fixing thing bc something else always acts up. Also once inspecting the wiring on the engine it appears alot of the wires are stretched way too tight and in all the wiring looks pretty messy. Yes I understand I probably should have done a better inspection but after a long time of looking and driving that probably caused me to not do as good of a job as I should have. My goal is to eventually put a lift and tires and do some light wheeling with it.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:08 PM

Whoever sold you that is a real piece of crap.

Are there any exposed wires on the loom? Tape them up, repair if need be.

Make sure all fluids are at a decent level to prevent failure, do a top off if you have to. Then I would suggest spraying with hose, motor (top, bottom, sides), transfer case, differentials, transmission. Try not to get any water inside anything with a seal like the pdc fuse box, valve cover and the like. *** Then let it sit for a day to dry ***. Main objective of this is to clean everything off like oil, dirt and grime. Then before you drive look at what kind of leaks there are, and how serious. If you can get it around the block, put about 2-3 miles on it in the neighborhood. When you park it, look to see if any leaks got worse, maybe the oil pan gasket and such. Trace the leak trail back as far as you can to try to find the source of the leaks.

Last edited by crabmushrooms5; 08-02-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Ya I plan on going through and taping anything up and buying some of the plastic stuff to put over wires.
I have been wanting to wash the engine and get it all cleaned up. When doing that can you use a pressure washer and just keep the jeep running while doing it?

I believe I got screwed over on this jeep also. I was a little hesitant about it but it drove and rode well so I decided to do it. Body wise it's in great shape with only a few small dents. The interior is in decent shape, needs carpets cleaned and headliner replaced. I know with an older vehicle you are going to have to fix stuff. I just didn't plan on having this much to do and still have things coming up. I feel like I have replaced most of the major sensors but small things keep popping up. It has been a really rocky experience with my first xj
Old 08-02-2014, 06:03 PM

New parts = new car. At least in my mind. And it's a good old steel body with an iron engine. I worked at a car wash and we pressure wash engines all the time with it running. The pressure washers are low powered but can still chip paint. Throw in a couple sprays of l.a. totally awesome degreaser ($1 at dollar tree careful it will start stripping paint if you let it sit) or whatever you got laying around. I just said do it with it off so you don't short or arc anything with the questionable wires you got.

Last edited by crabmushrooms5; 08-02-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Popping front end is probably ball joints. But there are bushings and other joints under there that can pop too.

Sounds like your Jeep was held together by spit and bubble gum just long enough to get it away from the seller. If you spend enough time and money on it, you will eventually get it closer to what you thought you were actually buying.

Only you can decide if it is going to be worth it. To you.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not pressure wash the motor!!!!! I would hesitate to wash it at all with the wiring that you describe. You'll find the leaks. Just scrape off the crud near the wet spots and troubleshoot it from there. If you throw water at that thing you may fry a whole bunch of expensive electronics.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

I prefer to leave my engines natural. A little external oil and dust won't hurt it.

Injecting high pressure water into the wrong places WILL hurt it.

I've seen owner's manuals that specifically state to never wash the engine.

Quick Reply: jeep advice. sell or keep?