Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Question about electric fan

I just very recently got my first jeep from a buddy at my fire dept (traded it for my 45cal hand gun)and have a question about it, actually many questions but I'll just start with the one for now.

It a 92 Laredo with about 182K on the odometer. Before I got it, my buddy drove it daily with relatively little problems. That changed when it came home with me... Like the very next day!!

In the first week of me owning it, I've replaced the shocks, water pump, t-stat, temp sending unit, dist cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil, air filter, oil and flushed the radiator. And now it all seems to be fine.

Ok, so here's the question...when exactly does the electric fan come on? I tested it by running wire to the battery and it fired right up. But I honestly don't think I've heard it run yet. My temp seems to float from 190ish-200, which seems fine.

This is my first jeep so I'm kinda new to the american car thing. Been playing with my old Porsche for years and kinda wanted something new to tinker with. I'm not looking to make this a monster mud vehicle or anything, just a reliable toy. Motor is very stong, tranny shifts great, 4x4 is fine, heat is good, A/C not working currently. Just want to make sure I learn all I can about the cooling system so any help is appreciated. I'm sure there will be more questions to follow..
Old 01-20-2010, 04:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre

Hi, welcome to the forum from fantic.
The auxiliary cooling fan comes on when the temperature sensor in the radiator hits 208° farenheit (98° celsius), and when the AC compressor is on.