Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Putting AC back on my XJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Putting AC back on my XJ

Hello,

I screwed up and bought an XJ that had a compressor bypass pulley installed in it. I screwed up even more by not selling it before installing an expensive lift kit and accessories

I bought a new compressor and accumulator at the parts store, and was going to install them today. After doing some more research it seems that XJs have notorious leaks in the evaporator and it has me wondering if that might be why the bypass pulley was in there to begin with. Does anyone know if there is a way to check the evaporator for leaks before I go and install all this new equipment and spend the money to have it filled back up?

Thanks,
MotorAxeDaddy...
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Compressed air comes to mind first.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Normally when I check for leaks with compressed air I set the pressure low and then spray a soapy solution on the device. where the evaporator is in the dash I'm not sure how to do that and it might not show a pin leak.

Maybe I'll just install everything I have and take it in to a shop to do a leakdown and install the refrigerant.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Adapt fittings to exposed ends with gauge ...
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

The xj's from what i have learned have problems with the ac evap core and heater core. if you plan on keeping it a while might be worth doing them both at the same time. its time consuming but you can pull it off yourself.

I bought a 2001 with a leaky evap core. theres really no way to test that you can see, but if its not the other components like the compressor then its probably the core. i am not anything like a mechanic but i cant figure **** out sometimes. i was out of work at the time and it took me 3 days but i took lots of breaks because it was like 100 degress for weeks.

shop will quote a job like that at $800-1200. I did it for probably $300ish.
I replaced the evap and heater core, and accumulator and I have great AC and heat ever since.
if you decide you have to go that route there are plenty of walk throughs on this site and other places on the web. i can even help. if i had to do it over i would also while everything is out properly seal the area around the blower motor in the firewall opening as mine leaked causing rust on the passenger floor pan.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by stimp774
The xj's from what i have learned have problems with the ac evap core and heater core. if you plan on keeping it a while might be worth doing them both at the same time. its time consuming but you can pull it off yourself.

I bought a 2001 with a leaky evap core. theres really no way to test that you can see, but if its not the other components like the compressor then its probably the core. i am not anything like a mechanic but i cant figure **** out sometimes. i was out of work at the time and it took me 3 days but i took lots of breaks because it was like 100 degress for weeks.

shop will quote a job like that at $800-1200. I did it for probably $300ish.
I replaced the evap and heater core, and accumulator and I have great AC and heat ever since.
if you decide you have to go that route there are plenty of walk throughs on this site and other places on the web. i can even help. if i had to do it over i would also while everything is out properly seal the area around the blower motor in the firewall opening as mine leaked causing rust on the passenger floor pan.
You sir have just answered my million dollar question... I have replaced multiple floor pans in each of my jeeps and never knew how the rust got there and how it was so bad. mine is bedlined now but thanks for future reference
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM

Yeah, If I do ever pull out the dash to replace the evaporator I'll get the heater core replaced then as well. I'm kind of hoping someone just had a bum compressor or electric clutch and cheaped out on replacing it after getting a $1000 quote.

I think I'm going to put in the components that I have and take it to a shop to do a vac test and fill with refrigerant.

Thanks...
Old 07-20-2013, 06:48 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MotorAxeDaddy
Yeah, If I do ever pull out the dash to replace the evaporator I'll get the heater core replaced then as well. I'm kind of hoping someone just had a bum compressor or electric clutch and cheaped out on replacing it after getting a $1000 quote.

I think I'm going to put in the components that I have and take it to a shop to do a vac test and fill with refrigerant.

Thanks...

any updates on this? i am in the same boat as you are/were. my 2000 had the compressor removed and the pulley set up installed. i just got a compressor but am starting to wonder if its even worth me trying to install it.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by aintlifegrand
any updates on this? i am in the same boat as you are/were. my 2000 had the compressor removed and the pulley set up installed. i just got a compressor but am starting to wonder if its even worth me trying to install it.
Sorry, Its been a while since I got back to this thread.

I installed the compressor myself, noting to add oil as per the instructions that came with it and to hold it up with the pulley down and rotate the pump 20 turns or so. I also replaced the dryer/accumulator unit and added oil to that as well. I couldn't get the hose out that has the orifice tube in it, so I took the whole shooting match down to the local shop and they installed the remaining tube, hooked it up and charged it for $170.

I don't know what they would have charged for the labor of installing the compressor, but it cost me just about $260 for a rebuilt compressor and a new dessicant/dryer bottle.

Its been a couple weeks so I'm hoping that by now I can consider myself lucky that there aren't any leaks, but we'll see if I still have air next summer.

Thanks to everyone that helped.